TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thinking about a tt

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a tt

Hello all, I'm new to this, please be patient with me.
I have been looking at a 2000 audi tt 180hp, quattro, with 112000 miles. It drives great, looks great, and feels great! But I'm weary of purchasing it because I keep reading different reviews that state they are plagued with issues. Love the looks of the car, just wish I could have a little confidence in the car and is dependability. Any suggestions? Advice?

Much appreciated, thanks
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 AM
Former Vendor

Received 72 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome. Of course we'll tell you to get this TT. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this ride. Have fun and make sure to post up some pics for us once she's home!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Why did you start another identical thread? Are you expecting a "better" answer on the newer or older thread?

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-24-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeafig41
Hello all, I'm new to this, please be patient with me.
I have been looking at a 2000 audi tt 180hp, quattro, with 112000 miles. It drives great, looks great, and feels great! But I'm weary of purchasing it because I keep reading different reviews that state they are plagued with issues. Love the looks of the car, just wish I could have a little confidence in the car and is dependability. Any suggestions? Advice?

Much appreciated, thanks
this is word for word what you asked the other day. you just copied and pasted your post again. do you just want different answers? do you just want people to tell you YES or NO whether to get the car?

short answer, if you are at all mechanically inclined and are up for working on a car (like any used car any where in the world, especially with that many miles), or have the money to pay a good reputable shop to work on the car, YES get it. if you answered no to both of the above questions, do not get this car.

like I said yesterday, im 21 years old. I got my 03' 225 TT Coupe with 110k miles on it 3 years ago on feb 2nd. with routine maintenance, it now has over 168k miles on it. Still going strong and running like a dream.

hope you don't expect a better answer than that. since you asked the same thing yesterday 2 threads below this one now.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ballykid
this is word for word what you asked the other day. you just copied and pasted your post again. do you just want different answers? do you just want people to tell you YES or NO whether to get the car?

short answer, if you are at all mechanically inclined and are up for working on a car (like any used car any where in the world, especially with that many miles), or have the money to pay a good reputable shop to work on the car, YES get it. if you answered no to both of the above questions, do not get this car.

like I said yesterday, im 21 years old. I got my 03' 225 TT Coupe with 110k miles on it 3 years ago on feb 2nd. with routine maintenance, it now has over 168k miles on it. Still going strong and running like a dream.

hope you don't expect a better answer than that. since you asked the same thing yesterday 2 threads below this one now.
Ok, as for the repost it was suggested I post in the regular forum instead of the "new members" area due to, what I was told that " not many people look in or check the new member area". So, yes I copied and pasted to this area.
Again, I'm new to this, my apologies.

On the up side, I'm very grateful for your info, it has been very helpful to me in my decision making with this particular tt that I'm looking at. I understand that a high milage car requires a bit of tlc, as my current vehicle has 251000 miles on it. But it's starting to die on me.
So my next move is price haggling, thanks again for your help and insight, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeafig41
Ok, as for the repost it was suggested I post in the regular forum instead of the "new members" area due to, what I was told that " not many people look in or check the new member area". So, yes I copied and pasted to this area.
Again, I'm new to this, my apologies.

On the up side, I'm very grateful for your info, it has been very helpful to me in my decision making with this particular tt that I'm looking at. I understand that a high milage car requires a bit of tlc, as my current vehicle has 251000 miles on it. But it's starting to die on me.
So my next move is price haggling, thanks again for your help and insight, it is greatly appreciated.
No problem. Sorry if it seemed like I came off the wrong way about it. Just happened to get back on and saw you had posted the same thing in the exact same place. I wasn't aware the first one appeared in the new members area, as your other thread appeared right below this one.
By all means this is the place to always post your questions or concerns. Everyone is here to help out one another. Hope you are able to seal the deal with your tt. It really is a blast to own.
If you mind me asking, what is your other car with 251k on it? Definitely sounds like it's served you well.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OP, welcome to AudiWorld. When you have a moment, go to the A8 "D3" thread and see the sticky at the top of that thread. Lots of good info for new Audi owners assuming your old car is not an Audi or VW. While most stuff is not related to a TT, the stuff about the Ross-Tech diagnostic Interface & software (VCDS) as well as a service manual definitely applies to a TT. Other stuff as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've bought the 225 BAM engined mk1 TT, it's chipped to 270 bhp and goes well. Only issues are the odd engine code thrown up usualy telling me to change my thermostat on the cooling system, it's only a niggle and I simply clear the code as there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stat (having replaced it with the more up to date stat) They handle great and take to tuning like a duck to water. I would try for the higher powered variant though as I am sure that you will tire of the lack of grunt if you are a petrol head. The Turbo Quattro is the most readily tuned and doesn't understeer as much as the big up front V6 motor. Test drive one if you know a mate that owns one or a shop thats selling one. Check for BAM stamped on the cylinder head on left hand side when you open the bonnet as this was supposedly the strongest of the motors. Good luck and happy TT hunting
Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TTParamedic
I've bought the 225 BAM engined mk1 TT, it's chipped to 270 bhp and goes well. Only issues are the odd engine code thrown up usualy telling me to change my thermostat on the cooling system, it's only a niggle and I simply clear the code as there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stat (having replaced it with the more up to date stat) They handle great and take to tuning like a duck to water. I would try for the higher powered variant though as I am sure that you will tire of the lack of grunt if you are a petrol head. The Turbo Quattro is the most readily tuned and doesn't understeer as much as the big up front V6 motor. Test drive one if you know a mate that owns one or a shop thats selling one. Check for BAM stamped on the cylinder head on left hand side when you open the bonnet as this was supposedly the strongest of the motors. Good luck and happy TT hunting
I wonder what the difference is between your engine and the BEA version. Also 225 hp stock. With your tune/chip; How fast have you been able to get the car up to? On a track or private road of course
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I wonder what the difference is between your engine and the BEA version. Also 225 hp stock. With your tune/chip; How fast have you been able to get the car up to? On a track or private road of course
I think the main difference is the cylinder head of the BEA and BAM, they look externally different when compared so I presume the internals are slightly different too. I have been told that the BAM engine was the stronger of the varients from a tuning view point, how true this is I don'y know. I know my engine gets thrashed on a regular basis and is still going strong. I'm not really a top speed buff, but I have seen 140mph plus on the clock. Usual speeds reached when out and about rarely exceed 120mph, but the acceleration and control over its application are excellent. Normal driving is fine after chipping too, bonus! Best £300 ever spent! Had it done at a place in Chesterfield.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a tt