TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Timing Tensioner Roller: Wrong Part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Tensioner Roller: Wrong Part?

Hey guys, new guy here. I just bought an Audi 1.8 TT a couple weeks ago as a third car. I immediately bought everything to do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc.

These are the tensioners- new vs. old.
Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  76.7 KB

Has anyone else experienced this?

I just stopped in at the Audi dealer and they do have a factory replacement in-stock - which is identical to the original, whereas the aftermarket clearly has some changes.

Should I skip the contemplating altogether and fork out the cash on another one?

Could be a non-issue, but the engineering in the original bolt sizing alone seems Audi wanted it that way for a reason. The other option is to go find a bolt of the same composition, and match the length.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disregard.

After further investigating, I received the right box for the kit, but the wrong kit in the box. Was for a different model. Same belt, different roller.

Correct part is on order, and hoping to wrap this up tonight. Seriously, what a stupid question....

On the plus side, this timing belt project has been way easier than I was expecting so far, minus the headache of driving across town a few times.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Hope your aftermarket kit was not from "blue" parts. Total garbage. Their water pumps fail early and if you're unlucky, their timing belt can fray away and you will ruin all of your valves. I just escaped that issue. I lost a serpentine belt from them on a road trip with a barely 1 year old part.

Search my timing belt posts on the A8 D3 forum.

Always buy OEM right from a dealer for something this critical.

Heck, your supplier couldn't even pack the right parts in a box. Think about that...