TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Another Convertible Top Issue... different twist.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan4.2
Well, my dealer is not so sympathetic. Just went in for the 5th time in 5 years for the top needing adjustment. This time it was the left convertible top sensor throwing a calibration fault. They adjusted the flap and performed an adaptation (again). Should be good for the season.
This is a known problem on the '08-'09 TT R. There is at least one TSB on this. Audi knows it's a known design flaw. You should demand to get any repairs for this at no cost. Try another dealer - I'd be curious to see what they say. You're getting taken.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil G.
This is a known problem on the '08-'09 TT R. There is at least one TSB on this. Audi knows it's a known design flaw. You should demand to get any repairs for this at no cost. Try another dealer - I'd be curious to see what they say. You're getting taken.
Thanks. I'm aware of the tsb and had the steps outlined in it implemented a few year ago. I think I'll get Audi of America involved and see what happens. Dealer is only 10 min away and is too convenient to change from.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow up... A few weeks ago, brought the car back to the dealer for a top fix and this time they did (what I think is) a more complete evaluation. The end conclusion is a bad flap motor. After replacing both flap motors, top currently seems to be trouble free. We'll see in the spring, unless we have an Indian summer.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alan4.2
Follow up... A few weeks ago, brought the car back to the dealer for a top fix and this time they did (what I think is) a more complete evaluation. The end conclusion is a bad flap motor. After replacing both flap motors, top currently seems to be trouble free. We'll see in the spring, unless we have an Indian summer.
Alan, you shouldn't have paid a dime for the fix. As I stated before it's a known design flaw and there are TSBs on it. Hopefully, the dealer did the work at Audi's expense.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a lot of these issues too and got it replaced every time for free. Last time they wanted to charge me $500-ish. I then showed them all the dates it went in for and what got fixed (flap motors replaced, etc. etc.) and asked them what my guarantee was it wouldn't happen again if I paid the $500. After a few days they got back to me and told me they replaced whatever needed replacing for free. Had no problems after that.

I'm now in a Mk3, so hopefully they figured out how to avoid this issue
Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good luck with the new TTR. Florett is a great color. Enjoy. I miss my '08 TT, and driving an SUV (even though it's an X3 3.5 M-sport), feels really strange coming from a TT. Hopefully the new Boxster S on order will ease me through the transition!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The same thing happened to me overthrew weekend. Put the top down, no worries. Would not go back up. I pushed the button and windows dropped down an inch or so and flaps came up but that was it. Found a video online and manually raised and secured the top. Now the dash light blinks and a message pops up that top is not secure. When driving, every increase in speed causes an audible beep and message telling me top not secured. At the dealer, they tried to reset so I could drive (can't afford to fix it right this minute) and now several other issues popped up: drivers window is not auto down/up but passenger side still works fine. Mpg status fluctuates constantly and isn't giving accurate readout. Alarm does not beep when set. WTH?

Anyone have a similar experience? I hope all will reset when I get it back to the dealer to repair. The dealer is quoting me up to $1,000 to $2,500 to fix, depending on what they find. I love is car but can't afford that!

Any help would be appreciated...

2008 TT 2.0 roadster
Old 10-27-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Good luck with the new TTR. Florett is a great color. Enjoy.
Hey thanks! Was unsure of the silver when I ordered it (hadn't even seen a Mk3 TT in person at that time), but I loved it as soon as I saw it. Here's mine: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-.../#post24720661

Hope the Porsche can get you back in to the fun! I've been driving a minivan while waiting for my TT to show up, so understand the feeling
Old 10-27-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Moody: to me that sounds like you may have a different issue. Maybe with the electric system or something? I've had my roof fail at least 5 times, and every time I closed it manually (make sure to latch everything!) without a single warning or anything.

After a certain service my auto window up / down did also stop working. I think that may have been due to a software update or something. It's probably something that could be coded back in with VCDS tho.

One of the things you can do is have the dealer investigate the issues. You'll likely have to pay for that though.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by visuar
Moody: to me that sounds like you may have a different issue. Maybe with the electric system or something? I've had my roof fail at least 5 times, and every time I closed it manually (make sure to latch everything!) without a single warning or anything.

After a certain service my auto window up / down did also stop working. I think that may have been due to a software update or something. It's probably something that could be coded back in with VCDS tho.

One of the things you can do is have the dealer investigate the issues. You'll likely have to pay for that though.

Good luck
Thanks visuar. This is the first time I am dealing with the top not working. I had hoped that by manually putting the top up, it would somehow reset things and all would be well. Not only does the top not work, but the other issues started. I think they are minor software fixes though. The dealer said his tech tried to reset things with the computer. That may have reset other things. My window is working against that's progress.

Quick Reply: Another Convertible Top Issue... different twist.