TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

MK2 TT Buyers Guide/Things to Look For

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK2 TT Buyers Guide/Things to Look For

Hey all, semi new to this forum. Owned a 2002 MK1 Neimen Markus edition TT about 5 years ago. Absolutely loved that car but got tired of the constant maintenance issues and my trusty shop in Huntington Beach CA closed.

Well I am back into the Audi world after straying into other German vehicles. We have a 2014 Q5 and we are very happy with it. Now I am looking to purchase a used MK2 TT as a daily driver. I commute 70 miles a day on a risky mountain road (Santa Cruz CA to South Bay) that includes multiple technical switchbacks and 2000 ft of elevation change.

Does a buyers guide for the MK2 TTs exist?
Are there other major known issues from what I have listed below?
Who has the highest milage MK2 with accurate tally of maintenance issues?
Where can I find safety ratings for the MK2 TT, specifically 40mph head on?

Here is what I have read thus far:

Issue 1: Roadster has problems with sensors and motors for convertible top.

Issue 2: Rear tail - light plug burning out. Simple fix if it occurs around $200

Issue 3: Squeaky Breaks on TTRS (my 2014 Q5 has the same issue)

I found this thread outlining the differences in the model years Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

Seems like going with a 2011 is the best bet to get some performance bump, however may be out of my target price range. Not set on coupe or roadster yet as I am fearful of sensor issues with the roadster.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

For most of us roadster owners that have the sensor/motor issue, it is an intermittent minor annoyance. If you cycle the top, it goes away for a day or so. I've seen maybe 5-6 other posters having similar issues. For me, it only occurs if I keep the top down overnight, and then infrequently.

First I've heard about the tail-light.

TTRS brake squeal is an issue for many TTRS owners.

I've heard some complaints of timing chain stretch on early models but no recent posts on this.

I wrote the FAQ for Fourtitude because I could not find the info posted anywhere and "What's the difference between...." was a frequent question on several forums. Everything in the FAQ is based on Audi documents. The AudiWorld model guide is excellent and unique on the internet.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the brake squeal on the TTRS was fixed by a tech bulletin update. Haven't heard anything on that for a while. The tail light thing was a small problem of corroded contacts. Only a handful of those, and on older models.

Been a pretty reliable car for the most part.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree that it is a reliable car

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I believe the brake squeal on the TTRS was fixed by a tech bulletin update. Haven't heard anything on that for a while. The tail light thing was a small problem of corroded contacts. Only a handful of those, and on older models.

Been a pretty reliable car for the most part.
More reliable than the Mk 1. Based on what I've read, many folks are not satisfied with the TTRS TSB.