TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

"Service Due" reset

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default "Service Due" reset

My 2013 TTS is bugging me with the "Service Due" nag & the little wrench showing up in the DIC. Problem is, the car only has less than 1400 miles. I had the Audi required first service done @ 1000 miles & it's only been less than 400 miles since then. Audi dealer says I have to have an oil & filter change for $100+. I find it hard to believe that synthetic oil goes bad that fast (obviously it doesn't) They won't reset it unless I do what they want.
Is there any way to reset the reminder without paying their extortion?

Last edited by Cadx6; 09-02-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, find your local VCDS person and have them reset it for you.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also look for local shops that work on European cars. Some of them will clear your service code for 50-ish dollars or less depending on the area.
But if I remember correctly, total cost of oil cost me 70-ish, (used pricey synthetic), oil filter was maybe $10-ish?
So doing work yourself is already at 80-90. Local reset at 50-ish puts you at 150-ish.
As long as dealer cost is not more than $150, sounds like it's not a bad price to pay for convenience of not having to do it yourself. But that's just my opinion.

Some dealers price certain services low to find other things your car needs. Many times they do find legitimate service requirements and your service repair just shot-up by $700! Just remember to ask how urgent the repair is, so you can explore option of asking a cheaper local trusted and reputable shop to do that repair at half the cost.

My 2-cents
Old 09-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
My 2013 TTS is bugging me with the "Service Due" nag & the little wrench showing up in the DIC. Problem is, the car only has less than 1400 miles. I had the Audi required first service done @ 1000 miles & it's only been less than 400 miles since then. Audi dealer says I have to have an oil & filter change for $100+. I find it hard to believe that synthetic oil goes bad that fast (obviously it doesn't) They won't reset it unless I do what they want.
Is there any way to reset the reminder without paying their extortion?
Was your last oil change over 1 year ago?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Climberdave
Was your last oil change over 1 year ago?
It was exactly a year ago & that's why the "service Due" nag appeared - it certainly isn't based on mileage since it has been less than 400 miles.

I toyed with purchasing a VCDS setup but I'm not really into modding either the TTS or my Q7. It appears Ross Tech is the only legitimate way to go but I'm not sure I can justify the expense just to reset the occasional service reminder.

Now that I think about it, my 16 year old, newly licensed Grandson will be attending the Audi Club - Chicagoland Teen Driver Clinic with his new VW Jetta Sport in a couple of weeks & I was planning on stopping by to observe for awhile. Maybe I can make some contacts there. I'm finding that Audi people are a lot more helpful, friendly, sociable, etc. than my last brand (9 Cadillacs)

Last edited by Cadx6; 09-03-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
It was exactly a year ago & that's why the "service Due" nag appeared - it certainly isn't based on mileage since it has been less than 400 miles.
This article explains what happens to motor oil as it ages. The bottom quarter of the page mentions synthetic oils.

Motor Oil 102 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy
Old 09-03-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
This article explains what happens to motor oil as it ages. The bottom quarter of the page mentions synthetic oils.

Right. That's why the recommended service intervals are 10K OR 12 months, whichever comes first. The OP should change the oil and then reset the reminder.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed

Very interesting article! Thanks for the link.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is covered in your Owners Manual. Read up!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You are lucky, my dealer refused to reset it even while I was having the oil changed. "No, you must have a full service for that." I pointed out the low mileage and said, really?

I've already got Carista and a bt OBD reader in the car, so I paid $5 to Carista to reset the reminder instead.

Some dealers will just reset it while you're in the shop, others are real *heads.

You'll need a friendly dealer, or Carista, or the Ross tools to do it. Or you can stick black tape over the light.(G)

Quick Reply: "Service Due" reset