TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

tts winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tts winter driving

Hi I have a 2011 tts which I just purchased a few weeks ago. It just snowed here in western new York so i installed the michilan pilot aspen p3 tires that the previous owner included in the dea . The tires have 50% tread left on them. I am very disappointed and concerned in how the car handles in the snow. It seems to be sliding quite a bit. I expected a lot better from the quattro all wheel drive system. I swear my gti with snows handles much better. I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback you have. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought a cheap set of Motegi 18" wheels - and put Blizzaks on them. I have a place that will just switch out the stock wheels (which now have Michelin Pilot Super Sports) and store them for me, and they only charge me for the storage, not the switching.

You might even be able to find cheaper (decent) wheels.

I just put the winter shoes on yesterday, and our first snow is coming today. I also did this right away in January when I bought the car. I cannot BELIEVE how great this car is in the winter with Blizzaks!! On the worst days last winter, when people were off the road, or even stuck in the MIDDLE of the road, I was driving around helping people, not even worrying about getting stuck myself. It is SO worth the money to have dedicated winter tires, and nothing comes close to Blizzaks. I actually look FORWARD to driving the car on inclement weather days!

I hopped on Tire Rack and grabbed pictures of what I have: The exact wheels, their rendering of how it looks on my car, and the tires. See below.

It is worth the money!!
Attached Images    
Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was swapping out summer tires for all seasons until it just became too much work. So I bought a set of 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for the car a few years ago, and I have yet to get stuck in the snow. Sliding is minimal. Granted I'm near sunny Philadelphia, but last winter looked more like upstate NY or Cleveland, not Philly. I left the original wheels on the car, and they still look great - since the car gets washed and detailed every chance I get - even in winter. Plus I only have 33K miles on my '08. Love this car!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a '13 TTS and it handles like a snowcat in the winter. I have a dedicated winter setup with Hakkapelliita R2 tires right now. Got me through last winter without a hitch, and Massachusetts looked more like Finland than usual.

If the tires are worn or getting there, it can cause the TTS to handle a little squirrelly. My OEM tires were down to the wear bars and it was handling loose. Put the snows on, and even though they are a higher side wall (I run a -2set up at the moment) the handling was less loosish. Now it is just tall tire soft.

Don't know if that is maybe part of the problem?