TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

A5 >> TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

If all color combos are allowed, and you order a blue on blue car, then back out of the sale, that car will be an aged unit and will for sure have a birthday on the dealer lot. However if you really want one, I'm sure your dealer could likely help you out.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, that's the Audi corporate financial driver of course. And also they want to maintain a more premium portfolio so no odd combinations allowed. But again some brown interior for the TTS, as prior generation, would have been nice.

Originally Posted by adg44
If all color combos are allowed, and you order a blue on blue car, then back out of the sale, that car will be an aged unit and will for sure have a birthday on the dealer lot. However if you really want one, I'm sure your dealer could likely help you out.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default So I can't order a reasonable interior combo but can order an ugly paint?

Originally Posted by adg44
Is the purpose of the restrictive paint and interior color pallets to save dealers from themselves or please the customer? If a dealer orders a stupid combination for a car to be placed on the lot, then they should not be in business. If I order a TT and leave a sizeable non-refundable deposit so I don't back out, then I should be able to order what pleases me. After all, if I add $4K to my bill, Audi will let me order the ugliest paint color on earth. What happens if a dealer gets stuck with that? If I take a hit on resale, it is my problem.

Based on the many favorable comments I have received on my seats, a lot of folks would order Admiral Blue seats for their Scuba TT as opposed to black or gray. If you have not seen Admiral blue, it is primarily light gray with blue inserts where the body touches.

I am fully aware of market forces. A recent article in Car & Driver lamented that 70% of cars sold in the US by all manufacturers had monochromatic paint. However, it is a chicken and egg discussion as to whether that is really what the public wants versus the fact that most folks just buy off the lot rather than wait for what they want, and dealers are so conservative they only order plain cars.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 05-03-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am obviously with Vegas on this one, and why does this calamity of badly specified interior and exterior color combinations not affect Europe.
In Europe you can order a red car with red seats, a yellow car with red seats whatever combination of available colors you want.
There is the "Sold Order Only" tool available to Audi Canada/USA if they would like to use it so only ordered cars with a deposit are affected.
Audi's corporate designers are restrictive enough compared to BMW and MB, but the North American product planners make it worse by adding more restrictions.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
There are 7 monochromatic shades from white to black, and one red, one blue, and one yellow. You want some other color options, go to the TTS with yet two more shades of gray and one more blue. I'd like to see a candy apple red and a light steel blue. I was also a big fan of the denim blue offered for a few years on the Mk 1. I'll bet that the TT has the smallest color palette of any Audi model. When I bought my Mk 2, they were offering a volcano red on the TT which I wanted. There were ZERO TTs in volcano red in the entire US and it could no longer be ordered.
I had a Volcano Red TTS (Mk2) before I got the silver Mk3. Everyone loved that color, including me. I almost regret trading it in.

Adg44, after having both Mk2 and 3 TTS's, I can say for certain the old Bose system was 10 times better than the B&O. The B&O sounds lifeless, with no defined soundstage, muddy thin bass, weird mid range.
The worst is that you cannot adjust the sound using the controls available.
Add Bass and you get more boomy muddy sounding music.
Add Treble and you get a tinny, ear aching blast.
No Midrange adjustment.
Soundstage adjustment doesn't do much for a 2 seater.
B&O are simply a name that was associated with high fidelity, since it has been bought by other companies, it only relies on its' cache. In my opinion, Audi doesn't really care what it sounds like, only getting a 'reputable name' at a cheap price.
As for colors, I think others have said it well, but I still feel Audi can do a better job offering a 2nd tier color selection for a modest ($1K) upgrade.
I almost wish you could buy an unpainted and primed car and have it sprayed to your desired color here in the US, but I tend to dream too much.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had my 2014 A5 for three years almost, and at the time the no manual was a deal breaker for me.

I think it's still one. I don't care about performance shifting, I really enjoy the three step process, and it's second nature. I know i'm the minority, but the A5 is fun to drive as the TT was, and has enough room in a pinch.

I do regret not getting a convertible though, and might change that next time, but the 2017 TT/TT no manual makes this 2001 TT Roadster former owner sad.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I also miss my desert green color, when did green cars become uncool?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TTom TTR
They are making a comeback... Gotland green on the new A4, camo green on the R8, and likely more on the other new models.

There was also a Goodwood Green R8 at he NY auto show this year.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my 2014 A5 for three years almost, and at the time the no manual was a deal breaker for me.

I think it's still one. I don't care about performance shifting, I really enjoy the three step process, and it's second nature. I know i'm the minority, but the A5 is fun to drive as the TT was, and has enough room in a pinch.

I do regret not getting a convertible though, and might change that next time, but the 2017 TT/TT no manual makes this 2001 TT Roadster former owner sad.
I believe the TTRS will be available in standard. That might be worth consideration? However, I test drove a 2013 TTRS recently and the clutch was so heavy that oddly enough, that became the deal breaker. A couple weeks later I signed for a TTS. I've owned several different manual cars and this will be my first automatic in many years so I can sympathize with your dilemma and I'm sure I'm going to miss all that action in the driver's seat. However, top drivers and car critics are singing the praises of dual clutch automatics now so I'm optimistic. I get the TT on Tuesday so after a few weeks I'll let you know how much I miss the clutch!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly how I felt about metallic brown several years back, and various browns have experienced a comeback that lasted about 5 years (seems like browns are on the wane now). I predict the same for green soon because it's been out of circulation for too long. I'm a sucker for the traditional german color combos of the '80s: maroon metallic, forest green metallic, and midnight blue metallic on cream/tan/brown leather interiors with polished wood. Classics...

But back to metallic brown for a moment. I would have loved to have a TT in Porsche's Anthracite Metallic Brown, though not enough to pay for a custom color!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HFP_LaFiE8...bo-S-JY-30.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vGk04YfqZS...bo-S-JY-01.jpg

Quick Reply: A5 >> TT