TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Android Auto/Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto/Apple Carplay

I know that this has been discussed before but I own the 2016 TTS. I think the tech is awful. Voice control rarely understands anything and is limited to whatever "app" you have open. It's insane that I can't get in the car and just say "navigate home" and it start maps. Integration with my smart phone is awful. If I've got spotify playing or a phone call it will play the audi via bluetooth however many 3rd party apps with audio (such as my voicemail app) will not play (no media).

The Audi proprietary technology is outdated and ancient. So when I saw that the 2017 model would have apple car play and android auto support...I was pissed.

So to the point:
Same processor, same operating system - others have said there is different hardware for this added support but I doubt that. Do you think they will ever add support for a 2016 TTS and these services?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Experience says: no, not likely.
They haven't even released any serious bug fixes for 2015-2016 Models.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Probably not. Not sure what's going on with your voice control, but even my older MMI in my '13 RS5 has no issues understanding what I'm saying and there are global commands. I don't have to be on the nav screen to start navigating home or to a contact in the system. Similarly, I don't have to be on the telephone screen to call somebody etc. Yes, certain commands are local commands.

Car Play and Android Auto are not all roses, either. Car Play is getting a much needed update in iOS 10, but it's still fairly meh. I've had the opportunity to play with the system in the new 2017 A4. Car Play was a piece of crap to be frank. Siri can't control anything other than the built in Apple apps. Apple Map is even worse in car play mode than it is on the phone. Both of these are being improved in iOS 10, but I just read that Siri still won't be able to control Music and Media apps. Also, no Google Maps or any other third party nav apps are supported yet. The biggest let down in the A4 and the Q7 is that neither Car Play nor Android Auto can take advantage of the Virtual Cockpit. With the Virtual Cockpit not being a rectangular screen, I'm not sure how Car Play and Android Auto would even look like in the TT.

I haven't personally played with Android Auto, but from what I've seen it's somewhat better than Car Play and it obviously has Google Maps and soon Waze. However, the biggest downside to me is that you need an Android Phone obviously. That's not gonna happen for me anytime soon. Android is a hot mess unless you get a Nexus phone, which aren't very exciting.

There's a lot of hype around integrating one's smartphone into the car's infotainment system, but having actually used it, I was very unimpressed with the current state of affairs. Personally, I just don't want to have to plug in my phone every time I get into the car for example. Both Car Play and Android Auto also disable Bluetooth in the car, so you have to do everything through the smartphone interface.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

You will not be able to upgrade your TT to have Carplay. It is hardware and software.

As for the voice control, make sure you train it to your voice.