TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Can i make what isnt offered

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i make what isnt offered

Missing my MK1 Tt Roadster. Finding it impossible to buy a 08 Roadster 6-speed. I saw a post about a guy switching in a manual tran into an MK2. ... All that said,

It seems unlikely that a MK3 Quattro Roadster in 6-speed Manual is attainable here in the USofA.

I can do ED pick-up. I also have family in Germany (and Canada) who can buy the car and then sell it to me used. And, i'm fine w buying an auto and swapping in something. Can i do any of this successfully?

Or am i nuts?

Btw, dont like Porsche, z4 is boring, for me, .... Nothing matches what TT should offer...
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple notes:
Canada is not getting manuals either.
European Delivery is still restricted to US spec vehicles.
Trying to buy a manual transmission and swap it in would be an insane level of expense.
If you must have a manual I would look elsewhere.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 07-02-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went thru this a lot with Audi US and you can only order US spec car, even with ED. I tried!

I have seen some 08 Manuals float around, but you'll have to hunt around and keep an eye out every week for them

In the end it wasn't worth it for me to replace mine that got lost in an accident so I'm switching to DSG. Wish me luck
Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some thoughts

Originally Posted by edobson
Missing my MK1 Tt Roadster. Finding it impossible to buy a 08 Roadster 6-speed. I saw a post about a guy switching in a manual tran into an MK2. ... All that said,

It seems unlikely that a MK3 Quattro Roadster in 6-speed Manual is attainable here in the USofA.

I can do ED pick-up. I also have family in Germany (and Canada) who can buy the car and then sell it to me used. And, i'm fine w buying an auto and swapping in something. Can i do any of this successfully?

Or am i nuts?

Btw, dont like Porsche, z4 is boring, for me, .... Nothing matches what TT should offer...
The only Mk 2 roadsters with manual were the 2008 and 2009 with the 3.2L engine. The Mk 2 TTRS coupe had a manual and there is some hope that the Mk 3 TTRS will be manual too. They did not sell the Mk 2 TTRS roadster here and since the Mk 2 TTS roadster is not being sold in the US yet (if ever), no one expects to see the Mk 3 TTRS roadster here.

As others have stated, you have to order US spec for official Audi ED. However, you can have a German person buy a European spec, sell it to you, and then import it. You would need to avoid options like matrix headlights that are illegal here. You can contact a US auto import company to find out what the US govt will require you to change to get the car out of the US port. Try to find a company that works with US military stationed in Germany as they will have the most experience. Prepare to spend a small fortune on this because German prices are much higher than US due to VAT (which you will have to pay because this is not an official ED), plus shipping fees, plus federally mandated mods at the port. You're really spending a lot of money to exercise your left foot.

BY the time you are done with this pseudo-ED, you could have bought a new corvette, a new Jag F-type, or a lightly used Aston Martin or Maserati.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 07-07-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by edobson

Or am i nuts?

I've sent you a private message. I am interested in selling my car. Many on the board know of it. Other than the usual top issues (which are now corrected) the car is near perfect, and likely what you're looking for. I have just hit 36K miles - I drive it 5K/year. If you or anyone is interested in a near perfect (no stone chips, scratches etc) '08 3.2V6 roadster with a short throw 6 speed, with essentially all options but nav, this is a great car.