TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Drove tt yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove tt yesterday

Dealer has demo in, and since i ordered they let me drive it.

A few thoughts in no order. As you read these keep in mind im coming from a not so special car and this will be my first car with some degree of luxury

1) b&o was crazy powerful. Volume was blasting my ears at halfway level. Very nice sound quality.

2) nappa seat option was quite nice. I changed my order to that over alcantara.

3) headliner was black. It wasnt an option when i ordered so i wasnt sure if it would be black or light grey. I love the black

4) car has some serious pep. We took an on ramp onto highway and without noticing we were nearly at 100mph

5) its a little on complicated side to use the technology/features. This isnt a bad thing, but will definitely take reading manual/practice. If anyone knows how to get pdf of manual id love to read in advance

6) we all knew this already, but confirmed that the back seat really isnt useful for a third passenger. Its possible, but not very comfy at all. Only really possible if person in passenger seat pulls way up.

7) phone box neat, but hard to reach while driving. I guess you shouldnt need to access it since its integrated to car.

8) dealer said the tt is pre-set to be able to use apple carplay.

9) the tech/nav package is really cool, but for $3000+ im not getting it. Rear camera and blind spot warning not all that big a deal to me, and i can always let siri tell me via car speakers

10) interior led is a nice touch

11) the interior aluminum trim is nice

12) the volume control **** is a pain. I had to lean forward a bit to reach it. I guess i might personalize steering wheel button for that.

13) embarassingly, i have no idea how to use paddle shifters. Would like to learn... Never owned a manualbefore so not familiar.

14) outside styling is slick, had a few stares during drive.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice write up and review. Regarding the paddle shifters, there is really nothing to learn. The S-tronic is an automated dual clutch manual transmission. So while it still is technically a manual transmission it more or less behaves like an traditional automatic transmission.

With that being said, if you want to shift up, hit the right paddle. If you want to shift down, hit the left paddle. Pretty much all there is to it. It has logic built in so you can say for example be driving at 60mph and you can't accidentally downshift all the way to first gear. It will only allow certain range of gears depending on speed.

That's all pretty much it really. Don't worry, you can't screw it up so try it out and have some fun! I'm sure there are videos on YouTube or other website that go into more of the technical details if you are interested. Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mlj1975lsu
8) dealer said the tt is pre-set to be able to use apple carplay.
I'm very skeptical about that: there would need to be a secondary LCD screen. The way CarPlay works is that your iPhone kinda overtakes the car LCD screen and displays apps there. That simply cannot work with the Virtual Cockpit in the new TT. Where would your speedometer and other virtual gages go..? You'd be stuck with a dashboard with only Apple Maps or Spotify
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gloom227
I'm very skeptical about that: there would need to be a secondary LCD screen. The way CarPlay works is that your iPhone kinda overtakes the car LCD screen and displays apps there. That simply cannot work with the Virtual Cockpit in the new TT. Where would your speedometer and other virtual gages go..? You'd be stuck with a dashboard with only Apple Maps or Spotify
I could easily go in to the center between the dials: First fully digital dashboard

Having said that, I do agree that I think Audi won't put it in the TT without a secondary screen for safety "reasons". Which would be a shame, because I would love to be able to stream navigation from my phone etc.

So far zero announcements have been made by Audi, so I doubt the sales guy would know... So far it's only been announced for the new Q7 and A4.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

3) headliner was black. It wasnt an option when i ordered so i wasnt sure if it would be black or light grey. I love the black
Currently we only get black, no options to choose anything else. Might be able to retrofit another color later though?

9) the tech/nav package is really cool, but for $3000+ im not getting it. Rear camera and blind spot warning not all that big a deal to me, and i can always let siri tell me via car speakers
I don't see how Siri could tell you that if your car is not equipped with the cameras and sensors needed for that, unless you were talking about just navigation

I got this tech package for the rearview camera (roadster makes that harder with the roof up) and blind spot warning. Really wish it included emergency stop.

12) the volume control **** is a pain. I had to lean forward a bit to reach it. I guess i might personalize steering wheel button for that.
Why not use the existing volume wheel on the steering wheel? The other one I think is really for passenger use in the TT
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry just seeing this. yea i meant siri for navigation steps. not backing out.

the rep seemed pretty positive when he said it is configured for apple carplay, but with the doubts others raised here who knows.

if anyone can ask their own dealer im curious what they hear.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I drove it today!

Can't believe nobody mentioned this before...when you turn the car off the stereo plays the "Audi jingle" at the end. It plays over the speakers. It's really kind of corny but it still made me smile. Why would they do that?

The car I drive only had 65 miles on it, but there was an issue with the brakes. The car would pull to the drivers side. The sales guy noticed it too. Plus when threshold braking, only the front tires would start to break free. I didn't feel like the rear brakes did much.

The handling was on the soft side, as expected. It was very peppy around town. But then I took it up I-70 into the mountains and you could feel the engine struggle. On the way back down the mountain I hit well into triple digits and honestly didn't even realize it. I didn't even mean to go that fast... The interior is great. The center screen was cool, but not as amazing as I expected.

I really want to see the magnetic ride, better brakes, and additional power of the TTS.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 100Daily
Can't believe nobody mentioned this before...when you turn the car off the stereo plays the "Audi jingle" at the end. It plays over the speakers. It's really kind of corny but it still made me smile. Why would they do that?
Probably to make you smile, which it did!

It can be turned off. Menu, sound, left drawer, scroll down to exit sound for Audi heartbeat.