TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a tough time closing my door, but I was inside my car so I couldn't tell if it was on the outside of the seal. I assumed it pushed it's way under the seal but if you say it can actually close over the seal that may have been the case. I'll have to check it next time.

I don't think you want it closing over the seal though however I'm not sure what you are suppose to do if the window isn't going down and your door is already opened.

I haven't tried to figure out exactly what is freezing yet. It's usually dark out and -10C when it happens and I don't feel like messing about outside
The only thing I'd be worried about putting silicone on the seal is having it smear all over the window.

I wonder if an Audi dealer would have any ideas. I'm sure the TT isn't the only car with them. It's even happened a few times on my prior Genesis Coupe.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah be prepared to get sick looking at it from the outside. It's pretty bad.

After posting I looked at different sites and silicone dressing seems to be a popular solution to freezing windows. I will give it a go.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

er I don't think I want to see it then.

Please let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will do Lain. BTW, I just noticed this has already been hashed out on this forum @ "Sticky Windows During Montreal Winter" on page two. Looks like our windows are freezing at the top edge.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Silicone degrades rubber!

Go with a product designed for same, like Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege

Originally Posted by TTSWV
Yeah be prepared to get sick looking at it from the outside. It's pretty bad.

After posting I looked at different sites and silicone dressing seems to be a popular solution to freezing windows. I will give it a go.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Just ordered that from Amazon. No way would I ask for Gummi Pflege at my local auto parts store. LOL
Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No freeze here

I can't help myself....St.Pete Fl. this morning it was 68 degrees,with an expected high of 82. Y'all come on down......
Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha, can't stop. Sheesh.

The tomfoolery is above the PEL now.

Brrrr! I am cold.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSWV
I have experienced a window issue twice, both times it has been below 20 degrees. What appears to be causing the problem is closing the door while the window is fully up. I believe the window is not rolling down while opening the door because it is frozen on the door seal. When trying to close the door (with the window in the fully up position) the window keeps the door from properly closing putting pressure on the window. This happened when starting the car this morning. Opened the door to start the car to allow it to briefly warm up, noticed frost on the window seal and the door seemed to stick at the window. Started the car got out and shut the door. The door window was on the outside of the seal with the door completely closed. Looked awful. Looks like you could possibly shatter a window doing this. I am going to try silicone or something in hopes of correcting the problem. I think if I can prevent the window from freezing on the seal it will correct the issue I am having. Anyone else noticed the window outside of the seal after closing the door? Think silicone dressing on the window seal would help?

Merry Christmas from WV!!!
What about ski/snowboard wax? Would be less messy than silicone and I'm pretty sure silicone isn't good for rubber seals.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am in the Gummi Pflege camp now. Board wax may work. I do know that closing the door with the window up is bad for the seal, the window and my well being.

I am gonna grease her up and get r done.

Last edited by TTSWV; 12-21-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Frozen windows