TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSWV
I have experienced a window issue twice, both times it has been below 20 degrees. What appears to be causing the problem is closing the door while the window is fully up. I believe the window is not rolling down while opening the door because it is frozen on the door seal. When trying to close the door (with the window in the fully up position) the window keeps the door from properly closing putting pressure on the window. This happened when starting the car this morning. Opened the door to start the car to allow it to briefly warm up, noticed frost on the window seal and the door seemed to stick at the window. Started the car got out and shut the door. The door window was on the outside of the seal with the door completely closed. Looked awful. Looks like you could possibly shatter a window doing this. I am going to try silicone or something in hopes of correcting the problem. I think if I can prevent the window from freezing on the seal it will correct the issue I am having. Anyone else noticed the window outside of the seal after closing the door? Think silicone dressing on the window seal would help?

Merry Christmas from WV!!!
Gee, I didn't know West Virginia got so cold
Old 12-21-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure enough. Maybe, just maybe if we all do our part and pollute the proper amount this global warming phenomenon will kick in.

Saving my receipt for the Gummi Pflege just in case it warms up.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went out this morning and it took about an hour of driving before the windows unfroze. Annoying. This does not appear to be a problem related to seals sticking, but rather a problem of too much moisture in the doors. Once thawed, I ran the windows up and down about a dozen times on the highway to evaporate the excess moisture. At first they came up as if I had just gone through a car wash. By about the half dozen mark they were coming up almost clean. Might be condensation, might be poor sealing from new overly stiff rubber, dunno. Interestingly, I stopped for gas and the filer lid was a little hesitant to release. Turned out the locking mechanism had accumulated a bit of ice as well. Between all this and the back deck issue, I think Audi needs to spend a little more design and engineering time in weather chamber testing. Really frustrating set of issues marring what overall is a great package.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tailwagger I believe you are right. I applied Gummi Pflege on the rubber around the windows and it did not help. This morning I tried rolling my window down before shutting the door, wasn't happening. It appears the mechanism inside the door is freezing. Probably a earth saving water based lubricant.

The door must be completely shut before the vehicle will let you drive. Doing so puts pressure on the window that is in the up position and creates a sickening gap. About 20 minutes into the drive this morning my window started working.

Audi dropped the ball on this and it needs corrected immediately. Anyone have any luck at the dealership with this? Decent contact numbers for Audi support? This is sucking big league.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry the Gummi Pflege isn't working for you and others in this situation. I had presumed you were merely getting some glass-seal adhesion but if the mechanism itself is freezing to the point it's inoperable that's a whole other and much more serious situation in a vehicle that demands opening/closing the window each and every time the door is opened/closed.
I'm surprised that there weren't issues with the 2015 model in northern Europe that would have been resolved by now. Or perhaps there were .....

Tailwagger I believe you are right. I applied Gummi Pflege on the rubber around the windows and it did not help. This morning I tried rolling my window down before shutting the door, wasn't happening. It appears the mechanism inside the door is freezing. Probably a earth saving water based lubricant.

The door must be completely shut before the vehicle will let you drive. Doing so puts pressure on the window that is in the up position and creates a sickening gap. About 20 minutes into the drive this morning my window started working.

Audi dropped the ball on this and it needs corrected immediately. Anyone have any luck at the dealership with this? Decent contact numbers for Audi support? This is sucking big league.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

NP about the Gummi Pglege, I appreciate any input. Reading other forums this morning it appears to be a common problem with frameless windows in general. I am not completely sure it is the mechanism freezing inside the door. I am holding out hope that it is the bottom seal on the window. Some recommended using a credit card or something similar to free the window at the bottom seal, some others are putting painters tape at that seal to prevent freezing overnight. Gonna try a credit card or vinyl squeegee tomorrow morning.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt totally write off the Gummi Pflege just yet assuming it conditions the rubber. I've owned several other cars with frameless windows, which indeed could on rare occasion freeze to the rubber on the upper seal, but that is definitely not whats happening for me. Despite a completely ice free window, even after the door is open I can hear the motor continuing to try to lower the window.

In our case, I suspect, particularly given some squealing and rub marks I'm getting when raising and lowering my windows, that the rubber on our new cars is too stiff to properly conform and seal to the window. Thus there are small gaps that allow some rain to seep in. As we've had a number of rain events followed by a hard freeze, after which my windows are frozen and given all the water I see getting dragged up once thawed, I'm relatively confident thats the problem. My guess/hope is that as the seals loosen up and seat properly, the problem will go away.

The thing to make sure you do after the windows release is to lower and raise the windows and wipe or evaporate off the excess moisture, repeating until no more liquid is getting dragged up. Otherwise, it will be the same thing tomorrow morning.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

This kind of engineering failure is why the Germans never conquered Moscow, protected by the Russian winters.

In theory the cars are all extensively tested in environmental chambers, with freezing spray and 24+ hour "cold soaks" as part of it, and water shouldn't be getting in that way. In practice...if the car is under warranty, let Audi go crazy replacing all the weatherseals in the door, at least one of them is defective.

Petroleum-based products attack some plastics (like nylon, plexiglass, and lexan) and elastomers, while silicone-based products attack others. It is more or less impossible to tell is "black rubber stuff" is real rubber, or a synthetic, and which products will attack it, just by looking. Personally I still like the old ArmorAll Classic, the white liquid not the new clear stuff. Haven't seen it do any damage even after thirty years in some things, except for the reservation that it CAN make some types of paints and glues (in/on plastics) release after time. Has been absolutely great at keeping old weatherseals looking and working like new.

Doesn't seem to help wiper blades, though.(G)
Old 12-30-2016, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Positive Results

Ice and snow storm last night. Windows were frozen up tighter then dick's headband. Checked both doors by slightly pulling the handle, windows were not budging. Used a automotive vinyl applicator tool and went around the top, sides, and bottom. I could feel the seals releasing from the ice. Great success!

The tool I used is called Lil Chizler, it is plastic and can easily fit in your pocket. Thinner than a credit card and angled at the ends. Amazon sells them.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Certainly better than breaking off a credit card (although I've had to resort to same over the years, most memorable traveling one Winter morning in Minneapolis).

https://www.amazon.com/Lil-Chizler-V...ds=Lil+Chizler

Ice and snow storm last night. Windows were frozen up tighter then dick's headband. Checked both doors by slightly pulling the handle, windows were not budging. Used a automotive vinyl applicator tool and went around the top, sides, and bottom. I could feel the seals releasing from the ice. Great success!

The tool I used is called Lil Chizler, it is plastic and can easily fit in your pocket. Thinner than a credit card and angled at the ends. Amazon sells them.

Quick Reply: Frozen windows