TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

New Owner - First Audi - First Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
… again, no interest in pushing my car to the maximum while I sit there and say wow - letting computers sort it all out for me. Straight lines have really no interest for me. It becomes a race for how many dollars you can spend. The answer to how fast do you want to go is always "How much do you want to spend? For me, the relationship is in the total driving experience. Typically, that's why I engage the canyons at first light, so the roads are to myself. 150 miles, then done. When the folks come up and want to race, I just let'm go. Couple of cool Audi instructors I have followed and from them I have learned some interesting cornering lines. Driving schools, etc are different, but those activities are not conducted on public roads.

I have no desire to see my car on a flatbed either - even if the warrantee can be stretched with dishonesty. Its ironic that we expect full dealer fidelity, but will fool them if we can.

Comparing APR tune to Dinan is frivolous as the warrantee burden is transferred to another carrier. Again, its your money and a free country - do as you please… follow your bliss

Don't feel sorry for me - I wouldn't exchange my life with anyone ;-)

Happy Motoring

Eric
I guess I can agree to disagree about nearly everything that you said....you clearly are not following the train of though of this threads or of everyone else in this discussion. Nor do you have meaningful experiences that translates into constructively adding to this conversation. I think you can see your insinuations, boastful parodies and ridiculous demeanor have (and will) fall flat with this group of enthusiasts. I certainly hope this is not the typic ramblings of most Audi owners, otherwise I might regret joining the owner's group or this forum.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Just my 2 cents of prior A5 2.0T tune experience:

I attempted to get an APR tune from my most local retailer (not all that local in automotive enthusiast wasteland MA). They turned out to be amateur hacks and I left without any work actually being done.

Later my Audi dealer became a STaSIS distributor (the latter now defunct). The dealer uninstalled/reinstalled the ECU and it was warrantied via a dealer/STaSIS arrangement. I also had the dealer install a StaSIS stainless exhaust, nicely S5 configuration routed. And of course a K&N performance intake filter. It was remarkably better in performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, two times I had tune-related issues which required bringing the vehicle to the dealer and waiting while the ECU was sent off to STaSIS and returned (at least I had Audi loaners).

Later, and in fairness principally due to my state's antiquated bi-annual emissions test equipment, it failed inspection due to a lack of communication with the ECU. I ultimately got my tune money back from STaSIS/dealer.

This overall experience left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Audi tunes so I specifically went with the TTS vs. TT to [hopefully] dissuade myself from doing so again. I do understand the enthusiast tune appeal.

I have installed an 034 intake and dogbone transmission mount stiffener and am contemplating an exhaust however. Apparently the modding enthusiast can't be completely tamed.

Note: I have had other tunes in the past, to include a self-tune on my RX-8. Also PC CPU/oscillator tunes ("overclocking") back in the day which are philosophically the same thing, taking advantage of systemic over-engineering, at potentially the expense of reliability.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thats the great thing about tuning a TT up to TTS levels....no worries with reliability...every parameter is within the original manufacturers design envelope of the powertrain. Choosing a company like APR that has endless credibility with their product ensures you have only the smallest of chances of any headaches in the future. A person must be smart when they choose a tune and decide how much to exploit from an engine. I would have gladly selected the TTS, but Audi won't allow the Design Select interior in a TTS. For me, that was the reason I was ordering the car. Hence I had to choose power or style, and I chose the TT with the DS for the looks. Now a few bucks and I have the power. Couldn't be happier.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM
tah
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Thats the great thing about tuning a TT up to TTS levels....no worries with reliability...every parameter is within the original manufacturers design envelope of the powertrain
Hold on just a minute.....

The TTS has a few different engine specifications.

Car & Driver about the TTS Engine (vs TT Engine): Running its own cylinder head, pistons, turbocharger, higher-pressure fuel-injection system...

And I remember reading somewhere else: larger valves....

The TT and TTS engine aren't the same "original manufacturers design envelope of the powertrain"

But I wouldn't worry about even a 50% bump in HP and Torque. These german engines have always been seriously overbuilt. Even going back to the 80's BMW's. Nice simple inline fours you could beat the hell out of all day. Redline ALL the time and the thing just kept asking for more.

If you drove an American or Japanese car like that in the day you'd be buying a new engine every few months.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The changes you state above have to do with increased breathing of the engine at higher RPMs up to redline...where the TTS has the biggest distinction in power delivery. Changes made for high RPM power delivery and faster top speed achievement. In my opinion these changes are NOT made in order to "handle" the power increase, but instead "create" the power increase, all while meeting another very important criteria...passing emissions tests.

So I'd have to say that a TT tuned to TTS levels of power is indeed within the design envelope of the original motor. We're starting to get pretty technical here. Also consider that one change sometimes means and adaptation of other parts-bin sharing for costs purposes, not reliability purposes. This parts sharing makes for differences that are not necessarily done for the ability to cope with more power. That's an important distinction. The TTS turbo still delivers more psi than a tunned TT. Increased fuel pressure ensures your TTS can cruise at 155 mph for an hour with enough fuel flow to maintain speed, a distinction from the TT that has nothing to do with reliability....just as an example).

Maybe I can't unequivocally say "ever parameter within original design", but I think I can say every parameter that really matters is within the safety envelope.

Tuning always brings interesting view points, and it's fun to share ideas. Certainly tuning a TT is a different venture than tuning a TTS
Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But then once u tune the tts, its bye bye tt. Never ending cycle
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm 99% satisfied with my TT tuned to 300 HP/375 torque. It's exceptionally fast and I really don't have some craving for more. It's more powerful than you can exploit safely on public roads. i'm in the mid-4 to sub-5 category....I can live with that! ha ha
Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I'm 99% satisfied with my TT tuned to 300 HP/375 torque. It's exceptionally fast and I really don't have some craving for more. It's more powerful than you can exploit safely on public roads. i'm in the mid-4 to sub-5 category....I can live with that! ha ha
I understand what you're saying.

While I didn't go the APR route since Unitronics was readily available, the ECU/TCU combo I have makes the car just that right amount of enjoyable and refined. In big city traffic it's smooth through the gears yet still has excellent grunt when called upon.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 21tesla
I understand what you're saying.

While I didn't go the APR route since Unitronics was readily available, the ECU/TCU combo I have makes the car just that right amount of enjoyable and refined. In big city traffic it's smooth through the gears yet still has excellent grunt when called upon.
From my research, the ECU/TCU tune seems well worth it. I figure I'll give the car a year and then decide what to do.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't see any mention of giacusa.com in this thread. I had their tune on my 09 TTS with the ability to put back in stock mode. It was a very noticeable power upgrade. In the year or so I owned it, I never had an issue. I also had a Giac tune on my 2000 turbo beetle, 2002 TT 225 and my 2008 TT 225, no issues. Definitely worth a look imho.

Quick Reply: New Owner - First Audi - First Question