TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Still waiting for a boat, dammit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting close! Hopefully you'll be re-united soon!
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visuar

My car took just under 2 weeks from drop off in San Diego to arrive at my dealer (Audi MV).

I did ask my dealer to put a hot / sold notification on the car (which it had when it came in), but don't know if that helped or if it already had that anyway.
My frustration level is rising. I had previously talked ballpark timeline with my dealer twice so I could line a few things up related to the pickup (loan docs, paint protection install, etc.) and now I'm getting very different information. My ship arrived in San Diego on 12/1, so we had targeted next Saturday, 12/12 for pickup, but now I'm being told that it'll hopefully (!) be to the dealer in 2-3 more weeks and that the port is a mess partly on account of the VAG emissions cheating scandal.

My car already has a hot/sold notification, but the dealer says they get no information about when the car will be released from port. I've ordered 3 BMWs and none took more than a few days to get from the port to the dealer (and the dealer had good info to offer me the whole time), but Audi's effectively telling me my car could potentially take as long to get from San Diego to LA as it did from Germany to San Diego. That doesn't pass the smell test -- VAG really needs to get their $hit together.

Do the dealers really have such limited visibility or should I press for more?

Last edited by SimianSpeedster; 12-05-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I went thru the same protracted evolution this time. I really think there's something unusual going on at the receiving ports now, and it could be certification paperwork verification related. My prior Audi was only a few days as well.

Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster
My frustration level is rising. I had previously talked ballpark timeline with my dealer twice so I could line a few things up related to the pickup (loan docs, paint protection install, etc.) and now I'm getting very different information. My ship arrived in San Diego on 12/1, so we had targeted next Saturday, 12/12 for pickup, but now I'm being told that it'll hopefully (!) be to the dealer in 2-3 more weeks and that the port is a mess partly on account of the VAG emissions cheating scandal.

My car already has a hot/sold notification, but the dealer says they get no information about when the car will be released from port. I've ordered 3 BMWs and none took more than a few days to get from the port to the dealer (and the dealer had good info to offer me the whole time), but Audi's effectively telling me my car could potentially take as long to get from San Diego to LA as it did from Germany to San Diego. That doesn't pass the smell test -- VAG really needs to get their $hit together.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
I went thru the same protracted evolution this time. I really think there's something unusual going on at the receiving ports now, and it could be certification paperwork verification related. My prior Audi was only a few days as well.
Fantastic. I have a current ETA of 12/14 at dealer and have no confidence that will happen.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My ED TT arrived at San Diego 12/2 and I think it passed through the customs the next day, since I saw the clearance docs uploaded at the tracking site. But I have not received any ETA from my dealer yet.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

....I'm being told that it'll hopefully (!) be to the dealer in 2-3 more weeks and that the port is a mess partly on account of the VAG emissions cheating scandal.
I'm not sure how much the cheating scandal has affected the port logistics, but I would note that Porsche has been stacking-up Macan's at the ports since the end of October due to a recall for a fuel line issue. The parts for the fuel line repair just started arriving at the ports prior to Thanksgiving, and there is still a backlog of repaired Macan's waiting for transport. This is probably adding some delay to the Audi deliveries. Hopefully not too much longer, though.

If it's any consolation, even the Porsche guys will tell you that once a car at the port has been released for transport, the dealerships have no clue as to when to the car will actually get onto a truck and on the road to the dealership.

Best of luck to you! Hope your car shows-up soon.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GaryZ
My ED TT arrived at San Diego 12/2 and I think it passed through the customs the next day, since I saw the clearance docs uploaded at the tracking site. But I have not received any ETA from my dealer yet.
I just picked up my ED SQ5 from the dealer in Reno, NV today. It was offloaded in San Diego on November 20. I dropped the car off in Zurich on September 28.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

but Audi's effectively telling me my car could potentially take as long to get from San Diego to LA as it did from Germany to San Diego. That doesn't pass the smell test -- VAG really needs to get their $hit together.

Dealer doesn't know anything, and with the new system apparently can see even less.

Neither my dealer nor I knew the car was on the way from the port until it showed up at the dealer. Thankfully that was only a week and a half from when it was dropped off at San Diego.

I don't think the emissions scandal has much of an impact. It just seems to be random how quickly it gets thru.

I agree that Audi US really needs to work on the tracking information and get a more solid timeline in order.

Having said that, mine showed up way before the 11 - 13 week estimate they give you at the start of the program, so it's not like they broke any promises or anything. But that doesn't help much when you just want your car back (and I was still in rental cars at the time!)

You quickly forget all the pain once you get it back and start enjoying it though
Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My dealership sales manager actually called the port dispatcher at one point when he sensed my obvious frustration and supposedly that helped a bit, but who knows.

And yes, it's all quickly forgotten once behind the wheel.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those of us in the Midwest, the Kentucky Highway docked at Houston last night with 1,270 Audis to unload there (also 562 VWs and Porsches). It had already dropped off 1,660 vehicles in Halifax and Jacksonville, and has a few more to deliver in Veracruz.

Quick Reply: Still waiting for a boat, dammit