TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Torn… TTS or S3?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn… TTS or S3?!?

I've lurked here a while but had to make my first post after my recent stop at my dealer yesterday. Background, I am a BMW convert coming from a 328 and then a 535 to an 09' A4 and my wife's 15' Q5.

I will be keeping the A4 for bad weather and a twice weekly long commute but wanted a fun car for the rest of the time. I was looking at the S3 and Porsche Cayman at first. We are a big Audi family now and have had superior experiences with buying, service, reliability. I ruled out the Porsche despite it being great because of the premium mark up.

So I was at the dealer to check out the S Sport seats as they haven't had one to sit in and feel. I love them. All I thought there was left to decide was Sepang or Misano… I love both. Then an AudiUSA rep showed up in a Nano TT. He also was a former Marine so we chatted quite a while and he showed me all the ins and outs of the TT although he couldn't let me drive it as it was his corporate car not a dealer car.

AMAZING!! The interior is INSANE! I LOVED it! I would love a new TTS in Tango or Sepang!

Crazy thing though he said if he had to pick one Audi as a super fun DD it would be the S3. So I am torn. We have no kids (yet or in the next 2-3 years), I will have the A4 also and we have the Q5.

Anyone cross shop these two models? Thoughts on comparisons? It would be TTS or S3. Both will be super fun I am sure. I think they both look amazing in their own right. The new virtual cockpit was great although I think both interiors are clean and classy.

Looking to drive a TTS and S3 back to back when they get one in.

Side note: He told me the RS3 is planned for late summer 2016 but could be pushed back a few months because of the slew of new Audi models being launched and to expect 10-12k mark up over S3 prices.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default If perfromance alone is the issue for a fun car, the TTS wins

Originally Posted by adam2433
I've lurked here a while but had to make my first post after my recent stop at my dealer yesterday. Background, I am a BMW convert coming from a 328 and then a 535 to an 09' A4 and my wife's 15' Q5.

I will be keeping the A4 for bad weather and a twice weekly long commute but wanted a fun car for the rest of the time. I was looking at the S3 and Porsche Cayman at first. We are a big Audi family now and have had superior experiences with buying, service, reliability. I ruled out the Porsche despite it being great because of the premium mark up.

So I was at the dealer to check out the S Sport seats as they haven't had one to sit in and feel. I love them. All I thought there was left to decide was Sepang or Misano… I love both. Then an AudiUSA rep showed up in a Nano TT. He also was a former Marine so we chatted quite a while and he showed me all the ins and outs of the TT although he couldn't let me drive it as it was his corporate car not a dealer car.

AMAZING!! The interior is INSANE! I LOVED it! I would love a new TTS in Tango or Sepang!

Crazy thing though he said if he had to pick one Audi as a super fun DD it would be the S3. So I am torn. We have no kids (yet or in the next 2-3 years), I will have the A4 also and we have the Q5.

Anyone cross shop these two models? Thoughts on comparisons? It would be TTS or S3. Both will be super fun I am sure. I think they both look amazing in their own right. The new virtual cockpit was great although I think both interiors are clean and classy.

Side note: He told me the RS3 is planned for late summer 2016 but could be pushed back a few months because of the slew of new Audi models being launched and to expect 10-12k mark up over S3 prices.
Compared to the S3 it has less weight, a more sophisticated AWD/cornering system, lower CG, more sophisticated interior (the only car scheduled to get the virtual dash is the R8), and numerous other features to make it the clear performance winner.

For me, the tough choice is the S3 versus the base TT because the S3 has far more power that can overcome the handling advantages of the base TT and they are about the same price. When you add cost for performance as an evaluation factor, you also have to add the M235 which is also in the same price range as a base TT as well as the new Stingray.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

You've come to the right place Adam. I've cross shopped the S3, Cayman, M235 and TT, as others here. I've also had a number of Audi's.

The S3 is a very sporty Quattro sedan. And being an Audi the interior is first rate. If you need a sedan it's an excellent choice. In my case however I determined that I didn't.

The M235 is the S3's direct competitor. As you may know, despite its many M badges it's not a true M car. But having said that it well lives up to the BMW performance heritage. It out performs the S3 in a track/spirited driving environment. The S3 bests it in every day driving, especially when Quattro AWD is needed (M235 RWD). The M235's interior is cheap by comparison.

The Cayman is the ultimate track weapon. Being mid-engine you feel at one with the machine. In many ways it out performs the 911 and would totally do so if given a comparable powerplant. Very high quality materials and construction everywhere you look. That of course comes at a significantly higher price. And although one of the more all-weather capable sportscars it's very low slung, very small, and RWD.

The TTS Mk3 checks all the boxes for me. Ample power from a relatively light 4-cyl, four-piston brakes, magnetic fluid dampers, rear-biased Quattro, class cockpit with Google Nav, B&O sound, actuated spoiler, designer looks, and a high quality Audi interior with pneumatic-bolster fine goatskin sport seats. Oh, and $10K US less than a base 2.7 Cayman.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
The TTS Mk3 checks all the boxes for me. Ample power from a relatively light 4-cyl, four-piston brakes, magnetic fluid dampers, rear-biased Quattro, class cockpit with Google Nav, B&O sound, actuated spoiler, designer looks, and a high quality Audi interior with pneumatic-bolster fine goatskin sport seats. Oh, and $10K US less than a base 2.7 Cayman.
And, it's actually got some usable luggage space, especially with the rear seats folded.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You have an SUV, and a sedan which you are keeping; you want a fun car, that screams TTS to me.
Less weight, better handling, better steering, better interior, beautiful sports car styling = TTS!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

And it folds completely flat!

Originally Posted by n828cl
And, it's actually got some usable luggage space, especially with the rear seats folded.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adam2433

TTS...TTS...oh, and TTS
Old 10-29-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've driven both S3 and TTS and own an M235. After the S3 test drive I let my Audi dealer drive my BMW. He agreed it was a better handling car. Xdrive is avail if you need it, and if you plan to lease the M235 works out much better. That said the TTS is a better handling car that the 235. So short answer if you're leaning towards the S3 drive the m235 before you pull the trigger.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, it's a can't lose decision...

The TTs is a great example of three awesome choices from the same platform: TTS, S3 and Golf R. They possess different "utility" although all have lot's of performance. If you are considering leasing, the cost may surprise you as it is unlikely any incentives from Audi will flow towards the TTS. VW is calling me incessantly to come in and buy or lease anything (our daughters have VW's and I had an R). I have crossed shopped the TT in various configurations since they first were produced and settled on one only once. The back hatch, by the way, swallows whole mountain bikes with ease. The TTRS was wonderful but insanely priced for leasing ($400/month more to lease than my more expensive S5).

Given the current universe of incentives, the S3, TTS and S4 may have lease opportunities that are unexpected. My sense is that a B8 S4 would be the least expensive lease.

In any event, the handling of the Quattros will feel different that real wheel drive Caymans or BMW. I am of the mind (although my time in a Cayman is limited) that it is the very most fun of them all - but a financial and DIY headache (I no longer have easy access to a lift). I came so close to leasing a Cayman S last summer but got the RS5 for much less money (about $300/month less and hugely different in the insurance).

Happy shopping

Eric
Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What about the 2017 TTS vs S3. They are much closer now, right/.

Quick Reply: Torn… TTS or S3?!?