TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Tracked 2016 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracked 2016 TTS

This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend an Audi Club event at Buttonwillow where I got to drive my new TTS in anger on the track. I will say before going further, I am a newbie to track racing in real life after 20+ years of sim racing in various forms.

Bottom line is that, as others have stated, the TTS is a whole lot of fun, but a hard car to get in trouble with. It was predictable and drama free the whole weekend. The steering is precise, and the car wants to turn in to every turn. Traction was great out of slow corners as you would expect. Braking was predictable, with a little fade after several laps, but nothing too dramatic. Trail braking let the backend slide out a little, but overall the car felt very balanced. A couple of times I outbraked myself, and those were the only times I felt any understeer. We did some panic stop exercises, and the ABS is very non-intrusive. Traction control was set to "Sport" and I never once felt the electronic nannies impede my progress - so they are either really good or I am really slow!

Overall this was a great first track experience, and I would encourage anyone else to attend an Audi Club event to enjoy your car at a level of performance you could never experience on the street!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the report - glad you had fun.

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
Braking was predictable, with a little fade after several laps, but nothing too dramatic.
Consider upgrading the brake fluid to minimize the chance of boiling it, if you haven't already done so. ATE TYP 200 or Motul RBF600 is what we normally use.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Unfortunately, Audi roadsTTers are not allowed to participate

Originally Posted by SD_Dave
This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend an Audi Club event at Buttonwillow where I got to drive my new TTS in anger on the track. I will say before going further, I am a newbie to track racing in real life after 20+ years of sim racing in various forms.

Bottom line is that, as others have stated, the TTS is a whole lot of fun, but a hard car to get in trouble with. It was predictable and drama free the whole weekend. The steering is precise, and the car wants to turn in to every turn. Traction was great out of slow corners as you would expect. Braking was predictable, with a little fade after several laps, but nothing too dramatic. Trail braking let the backend slide out a little, but overall the car felt very balanced. A couple of times I outbraked myself, and those were the only times I felt any understeer. We did some panic stop exercises, and the ABS is very non-intrusive. Traction control was set to "Sport" and I never once felt the electronic nannies impede my progress - so they are either really good or I am really slow!

Overall this was a great first track experience, and I would encourage anyone else to attend an Audi Club event to enjoy your car at a level of performance you could never experience on the street!
While MB, Porsche, and BMW allow roadsters for their club track events, AoA does not. They tell me it is an insurance issue. Guess the roll bars are not as stout as they lead you to believe.

I got my AoA life membership when I won a free weekend at the track for an AoA event of my choosing, only to find out they would not let me on the track. They gave me a life membership instead

Thanks for the report
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is very encouraging news, Dave -- thanks so much for posting! So...you're saying it's better than playing Pole Position?

It will be insightful to hear feedback from more people who track their cars and report back how they behave at the limits of traction. I'm hopeful that the electronics, while doing a wonderful job keeping the car in check 98% of the time, still allow the car to be playful at or just beyond the edge. I expect to track mine at some point in the future.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster
It will be insightful to hear feedback from more people who track their cars and report back how they behave at the limits of traction.
Another item of interest is how to safely utilize a harness (e.g., Schroth Quick Fit) with the factory seats. Need something to insure the shoulder belts can't slip down the sides of the seats.