TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT Winter fuel addition

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Winter fuel addition

Hello:

I usually park my TT indoors but I have to go out of the city and leave it outdoors in this blisteringly cold Chicago winter. Anyone have any recommendations about additions to the fuel tank to avoid water condensing? I used to do this YEARS ago with a Hyundai but clearly that didn't use Premium, nor it was a car of the caliber of an Audi.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Keep the tank full to lessen the air volume from which to condense moisture. And of course the proper premium grade.

I use Sta-Bil 360 at each fill up (generally from one half tankful for above reason) to offset the ethanol effect. Sta-Bil marine formulation will do the same.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huey52
Keep the tank full to lessen the air volume from which to condense moisture. And of course the proper premium grade.

I use Sta-Bil 360 at each fill up (generally from one half tankful for above reason) to offset the ethanol effect. Sta-Bil marine formulation will do the same.
Thanks. How easily found is Sta-Bil? Do I just dump a bottle into the tank?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Most automotive parts stores have Stabil; Autozone and the like. WalMart and many other sources as well.

No, you measure out the amount of Sta-Bil corresponding to the amount of fuel to be added. The empty tank is about 14.2 gal and 1 oz of Sta-Bil per 10 gal if memory serves. It cites the ratio on the bottle.

Btw: you'll have to use the filler adapter (in trunk under cover near spare) to pour in the Sta-Bil.

Last edited by Huey52; 01-17-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Just use a top tier gasoline and don't worry about using any fuel additives. If you are going to park it for a long time, keep the tank full.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Alas the Mobil and Shell in my area have sold out to non Top Tier vendors. I do tend to agree that keeping the tank full is typically adequate. I'm babying mine by not driving it in the snow/salt/sand so an extra precaution, along with a Battery Tender. 😉

Originally Posted by adg44
Just use a top tier gasoline and don't worry about using any fuel additives. If you are going to park it for a long time, keep the tank full.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huey52
Alas the Mobil and Shell in my area have sold out to non Top Tier vendors. I do tend to agree that keeping the tank full is typically adequate. I'm babying mine by not driving it in the snow/salt/sand so an extra precaution, along with a Battery Tender. 😉
Battery Tender?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, a battery tender is a nice assurance of full battery potential when not using the vehicle for a spell, especially in Winter cold. I have a waterproof model under the hood of a Mazda 6 that sits outside (my "winter beater") and this newer one on the TTS indoors: Battery Tender® Plus High Efficiency

Remember that in winter cold your battery naturally loses efficiency at the same time that the engine oil is more viscous and therefore requires more cold cranking amps (CCA).
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I haven't had any problems with my TTS and I kept it parked outside even during the -5 degree weather we had in Chicago the other day. Started up no problem but I kept the tank full and baby it during the cold weather not reving the engine above 3,000 and making sure im not hitting full boost on the turbo.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zigzaz
I haven't had any problems with my TTS and I kept it parked outside even during the -5 degree weather we had in Chicago the other day.
Same here in Minneapolis, except it's been ten degrees colder and I haven't kept the tank full. I've been driving Audis here since 1988 and never used any deicer or stabilizer, and the cars are always parked outside. (My long-gone '79 Rx-7 was a different story...)

- Chuck

Quick Reply: TT Winter fuel addition