TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Two and half months and its here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a rather pleasant and non-eventful commute today. Any worries about hitting a tree due to riding on brand new S001s at 20F or being mesmerized by the VC menu system were, of course, unfounded. Whole bunch of observations, overwhelmingly positive, but not without a few niggles. I'll leave all that to percolate for a while, along with a few embryonic observations on how different philosophically the delivery is between the TTS 2 liter and AMG 45's in terms of power and flexibility.

In the meantime, while I'm sure you've seen the like many times before, as protocol demands, a few day one photos...

Old 11-23-2016, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Beautiful ride (and I can kinda relate

btw: how is ApplePlay via the touchpad?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwagger
You having my deepest respect for your patience as well as your taste in automobiles. But most especially for your capabilities as an international miscreant! Bravo and be sure to let us know when your wait is over!
Lol! I wish I had a more adventurous tale to tell, but truth be told I had just entered Zurich (my ED dropoff city) not more than 5 minutes, and I was having a little trouble navigating the streets via Carplay GPS, and in the moment that I glanced at the map, the light changed and I saw a flash. I must have missed the light by ms and Swiss lights change crazy fast. Oh well. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Beautiful new photos! Keep them coming. It's helping with the wait.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Beautiful ride (and I can kinda relate

btw: how is ApplePlay via the touchpad?
Sepang, may it rest is peace, is well suited to the TTS. Stimulating, yet not entirely un-stealthy. Certainly the only suitable choice for those with a well hooned... er... honed sense of taste and refinement.

As for AP, you have ESP! I connected my phone this morning (after getting one of these...$110 for cables? Ah... no.) and while all the ApplePlay icons showed I couldn't select any of them. Tried all the likely suspects on the steering wheel and rotated around the touch pad, but nothing. I had read elsewhere that there were some problems with the latest IOS and figured there might be some incompatibility somewhere. Had to go get the car inspected, the dealership screwed this up (though the positive was that my 12 mile when purchased TT was picked up with only 12 miles on it)... so I just unplugged, moved on. I'll give it another whack later today. If/when I figure it out I'll report back. Overall, though I'm not convinced I'll use it much anyway.

On other fronts, the car is beginning to shake off its birthing pains. We've been quite well behaved so far, nothing over 4K. Beyond generally deciding to obey the break-in protocol, there was added incentive as initially this particular motor felt quite tight. So much so that in the first few miles, on the initial drive home I was a little concerned. After 70 miles though, its begun to wake up. I have to say, likely to no one's surprise, it shows signs of being a rather brilliant little engine. The only driveline annoyance is the one I knew of going in; the lack of a 7th or longer 6th gear. OTOH, with 75 MPH being just a tick under 3K, doing 90+ becomes a conscious decision. Given the propensity of other cars of this ilk to be malcontents when below instantly arrest-able highway speeds, the shorter gearing isn't totally without merit.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwagger
Of course, the moment they called to tell me the TTS was in, any notions of maturity and patience were pancaked flat by the 18 wheeler of desire. Had to have it. Now. Best I could do was Monday. That'll have to do.
LOL! That takes me back to my wait. Good times!

Congrats on the car. It's a great colour choice for looking clean. I like the black calipers - they look great!

Enjoy!!!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by f1point0
Lol! I wish I had a more adventurous tale to tell, but truth be told I had just entered Zurich (my ED dropoff city) not more than 5 minutes, and I was having a little trouble navigating the streets via Carplay GPS, and in the moment that I glanced at the map, the light changed and I saw a flash. I must have missed the light by ms and Swiss lights change crazy fast. Oh well. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Oh yeah... sure... nice try. You're among friends here. Save that little yarn for the magister, intercessor or whatever they heck they have over there. Nope, you're still my hero.

Last edited by Tailwagger; 11-23-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fun101
Congrats on the car. It's a great colour choice for looking clean. I like the black calipers - they look great!
Thanks! I see you've already sussed out my rather slovenly manner when it comes to keeping road cars clean. I'll confess that I like the look of the reds, but having had past experience with painted calipers on my 911, I've demonstrated that I neither possess sufficient patience nor toothbrushes to keep them looking their best. For somewhat the same reasons, I didn't spec the lovely 20" forged rims.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Audi likely coded their Apple CarPlay xface for a now-dated iOS. In fairness it's tough for them to keep up. Heck, it's tough for me on Mac/iPad/iPhone. Semper Vigilantis!

I just used a standard OEM Apple USB/Lightning cable and haven't had any iPhone issues (6S, latest iOS). Of course I don't have Carplay.

I do have to workaround a playlist semi-incompatibility with my resident/archaic (2006) iPod Classic. Of course I could just Bluetooth my iPhone but it was lonely sitting in a drawer and at times it's not easy being a frugal Yankee.

Anyway, to we enthusiasts Tech is just icing on the cake. The engine will indeed wake up quite a bit once broken in.

The 20" rims are beautiful and being forged are lighter than the 19". But the rubber band tires would be useless on the track (don't have to tell you about the need for sidewall and flexibility). Actually the 19" aren't optimal track either but a good compromise.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
The 20" rims are beautiful and being forged are lighter than the 19". But the rubber band tires would be useless on the track (don't have to tell you about the need for sidewall and flexibility). Actually the 19" aren't optimal track either but a good compromise.
Indeed. If the 20's had been 18's, dust or no, I wouldn't have been able to get the extra grand out of my pocket fast enough.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by f1point0
Beautiful new photos! Keep them coming. It's helping with the wait.
As photography has become somewhat of a passion, I'm more than happy to oblige. A few from this morning's drive.

Quick Reply: Two and half months and its here...