TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Unitronic Stage 1+ or APR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unitronic Stage 1+ or APR?

After researching, I see these are the only 2 tuning options that are available (not counting MTM or ABT). Has anyone been running one of these? I reached out to Unitronic, did not hear back... APR just directed me to their generic MQB page for the GOLFR/S3 ECU tuning which does't really give any performance data specific to the MK3... Just really curious if anyone has any more information.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My friend got the Golf R. He says it is identical to the TT/S.
He's a total gearhead and loves to autocross, I will ask him for details.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
My friend got the Golf R. He says it is identical to the TT/S.
He's a total gearhead and loves to autocross, I will ask him for details.
Definitely appreciate that, but I've seen all the data for the Golf R and the S3 from, APR and Revo and the various other tuners. I really want to see an Mk3 TTS tuned, since it's a bit lighter, and the DSG being tuned a bit differently vs the S3/GolfR. I'm really curious to see what the numbers would be. I know the Golf R and S3 are capable of low 12's with just a basic software reflash, I'm wondering if the Mk3 can break into the high 11's with the same.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have herd a lot of great things about APR, they really don't overdue the tuning so the engine always stays in good condition. I had a buddy that only used APR and he never had a problem. He only blew his motor when he tried developing his own tune lol.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I emailed my friend today, here is what he wrote back:

Hey Bob. Our Audi/vw platform is good for hi 11 sec. 1/4 mile but you need more then just software. You also need a down pipe and the software to take advantage of it. Quality down pipe is around 700-$800 I think. Up to 2 hours to install. Best done on a lift as the front of the driveshaft needs to be disconnected. Both unitronic and apr are great.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
I emailed my friend today, here is what he wrote back:

Hey Bob. Our Audi/vw platform is good for hi 11 sec. 1/4 mile but you need more then just software. You also need a down pipe and the software to take advantage of it. Quality down pipe is around 700-$800 I think. Up to 2 hours to install. Best done on a lift as the front of the driveshaft needs to be disconnected. Both unitronic and apr are great.
I'm really curious to see if our weight advantage over the Golf R will get the Mk3 into the 11's with just the flash (no replacement downpipe)! APR got the Golf R almost into the 11's with just the reflash, the downpipe took it into the 11's like your friend said. Just wish someone would get the flash and run the 1/4 mile with their TTS.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, I'm still breaking mine in.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

It is cool to get this kind of crazy power, but the limit of the S tronic transmission in the TTS is 380Nm, which is 280 lb-ft torque. So... play at your own risk.

I'm sure Audi would have cranked up the power even more if the engine and transmission could handle it safely and long-term.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adg44
It is cool to get this kind of crazy power, but the limit of the S tronic transmission in the TTS is 380Nm, which is 280 lb-ft torque. So... play at your own risk.

I'm sure Audi would have cranked up the power even more if the engine and transmission could handle it safely and long-term.
I guess we'll have to watch and see how well the Golf R's and S3's hold up.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

As we know, the European spec TTS is 310 Hp, so easily some room for growth. And yes, Audi does err on the side of reliability. Tuning is of course taking advantage of over-engineering so at your own risk is indeed the operative term.

Originally Posted by adg44

Quick Reply: Unitronic Stage 1+ or APR?