TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Unitronic Stage 1+ or APR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
As we know, the European spec TTS is 310 Hp, so easily some room for growth.
Or maybe not. The maximum torque for both NAR and RoW vehicles is the same (380 Nm or 280 lb-ft), and that's the primary stressor for the gearbox. The NAR cars have a lower max torque RPM, so the peak power is a bit less here.

- Chuck
Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by n828cl
Or maybe not. The maximum torque for both NAR and RoW vehicles is the same (380 Nm or 280 lb-ft), and that's the primary stressor for the gearbox. The NAR cars have a lower max torque RPM, so the peak power is a bit less here.

- Chuck
Or maybe not, it's funny, I did a little more research and found that the torque limit for the DQ250 is actually lesser than you stated, it's 350nm, not 380nm.. Category:Transmissions - Ross-Tech Wiki

But, as stated in other forum posts by APR, the DQ250 can handle quite a bit more, probably closer to 600nm. So honestly, if you only plan on keeping the car around a few years, like myself, I think we're all gonna be OK with slapping a mild software flash on it. I also learned, when I was having my '14 S4 tuned, that Forge Motorsport didn't really start wearing out components within their DSG (Mk2 TTS) until after making above 500 hp (also tracking it full time). There wasn't even any sort of catastrophic failures, just clutch wear.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

As my gearhead friend remarked. He wants to use the software flash for autocrossing while the car is still in warranty. All he has to do is re-flash it, should there be any wear related effects from the power increase. No one would be able to tell he had it upgraded beyond factory spec.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbob
As my gearhead friend remarked. He wants to use the software flash for autocrossing while the car is still in warranty. All he has to do is re-flash it, should there be any wear related effects from the power increase. No one would be able to tell he had it upgraded beyond factory spec.
Yes, they will know.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by z06user
Or maybe not, it's funny, I did a little more research and found that the torque limit for the DQ250 is actually lesser than you stated, it's 350nm, not 380nm.. Category:Transmissions - Ross-Tech Wiki

But, as stated in other forum posts by APR, the DQ250 can handle quite a bit more, probably closer to 600nm. So honestly, if you only plan on keeping the car around a few years, like myself, I think we're all gonna be OK with slapping a mild software flash on it. I also learned, when I was having my '14 S4 tuned, that Forge Motorsport didn't really start wearing out components within their DSG (Mk2 TTS) until after making above 500 hp (also tracking it full time). There wasn't even any sort of catastrophic failures, just clutch wear.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet... 😉
Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adg44
Don't believe everything you read on the internet... 😉
Don't believe everything you hear from fellow forum members either... As mentioned before, I'll closely monitor what I see based on Golf R and S3 owners whom have modified their vehicles. In my experience so far, 3 years in with the B8.5 S4 with a software reflash, zero issues, perfect reliability (obviously, different model DSG, but still exceeding the "Factory limits"). Plus, to expand upon my comment before about the DQ250 in Forge Motorport's MK2 TTS, I had actually SEEN it taken apart when I was having my '14 S4 reflashed, no major component failure at 500hp..
Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, they will know.
I know exactly what you are talking about, but don't be snarky, expand upon what you mean in detail so that Gbob will know. Actually.... I'll do it for you since you didn't...

Gbob, he means to say that if you reflash you ECU, it'll eventually be scanned by the dealers VAS tool when in for service, it's a requirement that the vehicle be scanned during service so the dealer can be compensated for warranty work. More than likely, during the scan it will throw a TD1 flag, which in essence voids the powertrain warranty. However, if he never takes the vehicle in, and does have it reflashed back to stock, he should be OK (the rumors about a flash counter are untrue..).
Old 03-23-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't believe everything you hear from fellow forum members either... As mentioned before, I'll closely monitor what I see based on Golf R and S3 owners whom have modified their vehicles. In my experience so far, 3 years in with the B8.5 S4 with a software reflash, zero issues, perfect reliability (obviously, different model DSG, but still exceeding the "Factory limits"). Plus, to expand upon my comment before about the DQ250 in Forge Motorport's MK2 TTS, I had actually SEEN it taken apart when I was having my '14 S4 reflashed, no major component failure at 500hp..
The problem is that you are basing your decisions on other owners, not engineering information. You will just have to trust me. All I'm saying is play at your own risk and don't expect Audi to replace any clutches or other potential drivetrain issues if you decide to crank up the boost.

292hp/280tq is the max this motor can safely make and withstand all the weather conditions of the US. The European car is not a hot weather car and also has different emissions regulations.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I know exactly what you are talking about, but don't be snarky, expand upon what you mean in detail so that Gbob will know. Actually.... I'll do it for you since you didn't...

Gbob, he means to say that if you reflash you ECU, it'll eventually be scanned by the dealers VAS tool when in for service, it's a requirement that the vehicle be scanned during service so the dealer can be compensated for warranty work. More than likely, during the scan it will throw a TD1 flag, which in essence voids the powertrain warranty. However, if he never takes the vehicle in, and does have it reflashed back to stock, he should be OK (the rumors about a flash counter are untrue..).
Incorrect, but I cannot explain further.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

On this subject I do trust.... just a note however that they seem to test/review the Euro spec TTS quite a bit in hot Spain mainland and Majorca.

The problem is that you are basing your decisions on other owners, not engineering information. You will just have to trust me. All I'm saying is play at your own risk and don't expect Audi to replace any clutches or other potential drivetrain issues if you decide to crank up the boost.

292hp/280tq is the max this motor can safely make and withstand all the weather conditions of the US. The European car is not a hot weather car and also has different emissions regulations.

Quick Reply: Unitronic Stage 1+ or APR?