Sponsored by:

VCDS and MLB2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default VCDS and MLB2

Hello everybody,

My HEX-CAN USB VCDS was a great tool over the last 10 years allowing me to make all modifications I wanted on my A4 B6, Q5 and A6 C7. My B9 is scheduled to arrive in April and I started to research what is possible to be ready when I get it. Some forums now mention that VCDS with HEX-CAN may not work that well anymore (if at all) with MLB2 systems (A4 B9, 2017 Q7) and recommend other tools, i.e. VCP. VCP being mentioned as already providing an automated way to enable VIM and other things that VCDS never could.

Ross-Tech states at Ross-Tech: HEX-USB+CAN Interface the following:

Compatibility:

This interface works with all diagnostic-capable VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda models from 1990 through 2015.
It does NOT currently support the following vehicles:

2016+ Audi Q7 (Rest-of-World) Chassis 4M (2017+ North American Region)
2016+ Audi A4 B9 (Rest-of-World) chassis 8W (2017+ North American Region).

We do not know if or when we will be able to make the HEX-USB+CAN interface compatible with those models (and other future ones using the MLB 2 platform) so if support for those models is important to you, we recommend purchasing a HEX-NET instead.

Does anybody have any information about the future of HEX-CAN and the next generation Audis? Is HEX-CAN still being developed and updated to support the newest generation of cars? Or is HEX-NET the future and will it work virtually identical to HEX-CAN (VCDS on a Windows computer) if connected via USB (i.e. no need to establish a WiFi connection between the PC and HEX-NET or deal with Java which I try to avoid at all cost)? Or is it time to move on and get VCP or similar?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. But as a vendor, I am not permitted to speak of it. Contact us at Sales and you can post what I am able to say.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by bearthebruce
Yes. But as a vendor, I am not permitted to speak of it. Contact us at Sales and you can post what I am able to say.
Thanks, Bruce, Uwe already commented on the same question in the Ross-Tech forum.