Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Been using studded "Winterforce" - want something better. Want to order from TR --> Gary help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been using studded "Winterforce" - want something better. Want to order from TR --> Gary help!

The Winterforce we got from TR (had them studded) were very good in the deep snow, and seemed *decent on ice - but not the greatest. They also were loud as expected. Now that they are almost half worn they are really noisey and I only EVER use a snow tire to half tread and then sell them on Ebay/CL for half price - they always sell - people are strange.

Anyway:

This is on my wifeys 2002 Mini Cooper S that we have dedicated 16" wheels for the winter (also bought from TR).

I see that the tests indicate the newer snows do even better on packed snow and ice than a studded cheapie (Winterforce)

What about moderately deep snow? We live on the coast of Maine and get big snow storms and will have a foot of wet heavy snow at times then it melts and makes LOTS and LOTS of ice everywhere.

I am thinking about the new Mich. X-ice XI-2 tires...... thoughts?? I am not convinced they will do well in deep snow as the old-school guy in me wants to see big open lugs and such.

What other tires would be good for her car? We do NOT need performance at all. We live on an island on the coast and the car is a commuter for the most part. Summer we take it on trips and love a good sporty tire though.

THANKS!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Been using studded "Winterforce" - want something better. Want to order from TR --> Gary help

Yes, I would expect the Ice Xi2 to perform better in packed snow and ice, but not as well in deeper snow conditions given the tread pattern.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. I will have one more look around your site. Anything else you'd recommend?

We are running 16's for the winter.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK - Mich. XI2's or Bliz. WS-60's ????? More:

The WS-60's come in a 195-60-16 that is close in size to the "correct" 195-55-16 that the Mich. comes in.

We had 205-55-16 Winterforce on there that did fit with only a TINY bit of rubbing in the rear when the car is loaded with both dogs and we hit a big bump or something. The Winterforces run really wide it seems and they would rub the inner fender just a hair on the outer corner.

Seems the WS-60 would fit just fine as they are a hair smaller diam. and an inch narrower.

The WS60 are cheaper...... but i really don't care about that.

Which one is going to be a better tire on the ice? Deep snow my guess is that they are going to be about the same.

Which one will last longer, is one far more long wearing than the other? I know the Blizzaks are not known for life span.

Thanks Gary! (Or anyone else with input)
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How about General Altimax Arctic Studded? or...

If you want the best, nokian hakka4 studded, just not carried by tirerack, AND they're VERY expensive now due to currency exchange rates.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Gary? Yes no maybe.