|March 24, 2006
From Auto Union to the Audi A4 DTM
Shining like a pin and in brilliant form – this is how an Auto Union Type D vehicle and an Audi A4 DTM car can be marvelled at during the DTM presentation in Düsseldorf on March 26th. Almost like grandfather and grandson the two racing cars will symbolise the victorious tradition of the emblem with the four rings.
When in 1932 Auto Union AG evolved retroactively from Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer, a high-calibre racing commitment served to hone the new company’s profile between 1934 and 1939. In Zwickau revolutionary 16-cylinder racing cars were created. They were far ahead of their times: Their mid-engine design with the powerplant located in front of the rear axle did not establish itself firmly in racing until 1960. The consecutive Audi Union model ranges A, B, C and D, some of which delivered more than 500 hp, celebrated a total of 23 Grand Prix victories within thespan of six years. In hillclimb races and record stints the silver racers from Zwickau collected numerous other trophies.
Today, the emblem with the four rings still stands for the development of high technology for successes in racing – Auto Union became Audi, and the duels between the brands from yesterday continue in today’s DTM. The 460-hp Audi A4 DTM, the first version of which made its debut in 2004, has so far clinched eight victories within merely two years in 21 races. Audi subjected the A4 DTM to targeted further development in winter in order to continue this success story in 2006. After all, the idea is to write history again just like in the days of the Auto Union brand.