Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Quick question about DRLs and VAG-COM

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about DRLs and VAG-COM

I apologize if this is a duplicate to previous posts, but I am curious to know the answers. Was just over at Audizine reading some of the threads and noticed someone's question about the LED DRLs remaining on/off when indicating. Common replies were that this can be modded with a VAG-COM cable. If anyone has modded the LED DRLs to their car, has anyone had any error warnings/notices from the car about the lights behaving differently?

I've seen the DRL go away when indicating in the real-world and makes the car look as if it's perpetually winking at on-coming drivers. I would be interested in a mod like this but only if I would not encounter some type of error message/warning about the lights everytime I indicate or while the car is on. Also, where can someone purchase a VAG-COM cable?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did the mod (will someone in my area that has the cable). It has been over a month now and I have not once received a warning on this.
Ross-Tech provides the cable and the interface you need to make such changes to the car.

Perhaps somone can add more to this. BTW, I only changed so the DRL stays on when indicating. Not sure if there is an option of reducing the DRL brightness when indicating.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, you won't get any error messages when you disable the DRL "wink". The car is designed to work that way, it has just been changed for the U.S. market to implement the winking. So you are only restoring the function to the way it already works in Europe.

The real VAG-COM cable and software comes from www.Ross-Tech.com. It's pretty pricey, and you need the most expensive option for the B8 chassis ($350). Occasionally somebody will report that a cheapo knockoff cable from eBay will work, but most (or all) of those cables will not actually work.

You can search for helpful individuals in your area who would be willing to meet up and make the mods for you, sometimes for a nominal fee or some beer or dinner.

www.vagcomlocator.com
www.vagtoolfinder.com
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
No, you won't get any error messages when you disable the DRL "wink". The car is designed to work that way, it has just been changed for the U.S. market to implement the winking. So you are only restoring the function to the way it already works in Europe.

The real VAG-COM cable and software comes from www.Ross-Tech.com. It's pretty pricey, and you need the most expensive option for the B8 chassis ($350). Occasionally somebody will report that a cheapo knockoff cable from eBay will work, but most (or all) of those cables will not actually work.

You can search for helpful individuals in your area who would be willing to meet up and make the mods for you, sometimes for a nominal fee or some beer or dinner.

www.vagcomlocator.com
www.vagtoolfinder.com

Very helpful. Thanks so much Hobbes.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll go +1 on Hobbes response. I made the mod with my VagCom (as well as many many others) and have not had any errors. The disable of the "wink" is definitely a good choice. Some people will claim that it interferes with seeing the turn signal but that's just dumb. Some people also claim it's illegal, which is just plain incorrect.
Completely legal, doesn't affect the other systems in the car, doesn't give errors, doesn't prevent you from getting your registration (someone actually claimed that!).

I highly recommend it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
Some people will claim that it interferes with seeing the turn signal but that's just dumb.
Actually, I won't totally disagree with that statement. I think the turn indicator is a bit less obvious with the DRL on, but I don't think it is enough to be a problem. Given how bright the LEDs are, I could see that the small incandescent turn indicator might be partially overwhelmed by the LEDs when viewed from afar by other drivers.

That being said, I still think it looks way better without the winking, and it was the first thing I changed when I got my VAG-COM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
The disable of the "wink" is definitely a good choice. Some people will claim that it interferes with seeing the turn signal but that's just dumb. Some people also claim it's illegal, which is just plain incorrect.
Completely legal, doesn't affect the other systems in the car, doesn't give errors, doesn't prevent you from getting your registration (someone actually claimed that!).
Section 108 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards reads:

S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) and to be automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any ``on'' position, and as otherwise determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, provided that each such lamp:
(1) Has a luminous intensity not less than 500 candela at test point H-V, nor more than 3,000 candela at any location in the beam, when tested in accordance with Section S11 of this standard, unless it is:
(i) A lower beam headlamp intended to operate as a DRL at full voltage, or at a voltage lower than used to operate it as a lower beam headlamp; or
(ii) An upper beam headlamp intended to operate as a DRL, whose luminous intensity at test point H-V is not more than 7,000 candela, and which is mounted not higher than 864 mm above the road surface as measured from the center of the lamp with the vehicle at curb weight;
(2) Is permanently marked ``DRL'' on its lens in letters not less than 3 mm high, unless it is optically combined with a headlamp;
(3) Is designed to provide the same color as the other lamp in the pair, and that is one of the following colors as defined in SAE Standard J578 MAY88: White, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow;
(4) If not optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is located so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm, unless:
(i) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or
(ii) (For a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus that is manufactured before October 1, 1995, and which uses an upper beam headlamp as a DRL as specified in paragraph S5.5.11(a (1)(ii)) the
luminous intensity of the DRL is greater than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or
(iii) The DRL is optically combined with a lower beam headlamp and the turn signal lamp meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or
(iv) The DRL is deactivated when the turn signal or hazard warning signal lamp is activated.
(5) If optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.
I don't know if the A5/S5's LEDs (DRLs) are "optically combined with the turn signal lamp," but, either way, it is indeed federal law that the LEDs turn off when the turn signal is activated.

That said, I can almost guarantee you that 99% of police officers have no clue about this law. It will be one of the first VAG COM changes I make.

Source: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2001&TYPE=TEXT
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a quick side to the above discussions -- the Cadillac CTS drls "blink" also when using the turn signals...I noticed when I test drove one - I actually thought one of the drls was out...it was just off because the turn signal was on...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shado1019
I don't know if the A5/S5's LEDs (DRLs) are "optically combined with the turn signal lamp," but, either way, it is indeed federal law that the LEDs turn off when the turn signal is activated.

That said, I can almost guarantee you that 99% of police officers have no clue about this law. It will be one of the first VAG COM changes I make.
Interesting stuff. It certainly appears that the DRL winking is required by law for Audi's configuration. However, I'll happily take my chances with John Law.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Interesting stuff. It certainly appears that the DRL winking is required by law for Audi's configuration. However, I'll happily take my chances with John Law.
Yeah, you and all of us here, too. I'm sure we'll all be fine.

Besides, isn't it a bigger crime to interfere with that sexy but sinister Audi LED look?

Quick Reply: Quick question about DRLs and VAG-COM