S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!

I have exactly 1007 miles on my car and I have an unbelievably loud squeal on my brakes at low speeds. It doesn't happen when I hit the brakes going normal driving speeds. It occurs when I'm coasting (for example, at a red light), and I just tap the brakes. It is VERY loud!

Has this happened to anyone? I was thinking that perhaps it could be related to the weather getting cooler here in Chicago?? We're just coming off of a long warm spell.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been reported by many, and I have experienced it myself. But it is sporadic and only happens at extremely low speeds 1-2 mph. I would suggest a few hard stops to remove any rust and corrosion that might have built up on the rotors. If it persists, take it in for service, but good luck having it act up when you take it in.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happen to me when it's cold. 5c or under.

I tried bedding it but it only help as it warm up the brakes. Once it's cold again squeal comes back.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck with the dealer, i bedded my brakes and nothing...as soon as they are cold the squeal is bad and yes squeel is due to cold weather, i've talkes to one of audi techs and he said the semi-metallic brake pad will make noise on the s4, and thats about all he can do, stupid... If you want to take it in ur hands and remove this craziness just get stoptech brake pads i hear they work pretty well on our cars with minimal to none squealing and low dust keeps ur wheels cleaner
At least thats what ill be doing cause im tired of this freakin squeal

Last edited by MDMA; 11-14-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was wondering while braking the other day what the noise was i thought the ebrake was applied it was like a groaning squeel really annoying but only happened 2x in 540 miles
Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

there's a TSB, and it works. no squeal here- even in the cold.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
Can you elaborate? Not sure what a TSB is.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
If there really is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out for this issue, can you provide any more details? Is there a number of some detail on it? Do you know what they did to address the issue?

These brakes are VERY annoying (only 850 miles on my car), but live in the Chicago burbs...cold now!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
If there really is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out for this issue, can you provide any more details? Is there a number of some detail on it? Do you know what they did to address the issue?

These brakes are VERY annoying (only 850 miles on my car), but live in the Chicago burbs...cold now!
Please share the TSB number for this - thanks - my car is at the dealer now!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not hearing any noises from my brakes.

By the way, the eBrake should never be a concern in terms of leaving it engaged while driving. The eBrake automatically disengages if you start to drive and it's left on. In the manual it even describes how you can set the eBrake on a hill and press the gas to help you get started without rolling back...after a few seconds the eBrake will disengage without you pushing the button.

Quick Reply: Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!