Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 in snow

Ok I know it's been discussed before, but I just want a realistic opinion. My wife is due to give birth next week and I have a funny feeling this snowstorm threatening the northeast will bring on labor. We're expected to get anywhere between 3 and 30 inches...no one knows for sure.

Worst case scenario, I have to drive before the roads are cleared or as the snow is coming down. Figure a foot or two of snow, how will the Q5 perform?

The roads are regular busy roads, not highways, but busy local roads. I have to go 4 miles (usually takes about 10-15 minutes in normal weather). I have a 2.0 with 19" all season Continental tires. I'm not putting snow tires on right now for this so don't suggest it. I don't take the car out in foul weather unless I have to.

I've driven in plenty of snow in my life, but never with an Audi Quattro. So how does it stack up versus a 4-wheel drive truck? I don't care about setting land-speed records. I just want to get there in one piece and if I have to go through a deep drift, what are the chances we can churn through it?

Thank you.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjrdomer
Ok I know it's been discussed before, but I just want a realistic opinion. My wife is due to give birth next week and I have a funny feeling this snowstorm threatening the northeast will bring on labor. We're expected to get anywhere between 3 and 30 inches...no one knows for sure.

Worst case scenario, I have to drive before the roads are cleared or as the snow is coming down. Figure a foot or two of snow, how will the Q5 perform?

The roads are regular busy roads, not highways, but busy local roads. I have to go 4 miles (usually takes about 10-15 minutes in normal weather). I have a 2.0 with 19" all season Continental tires. I'm not putting snow tires on right now for this so don't suggest it. I don't take the car out in foul weather unless I have to.

I've driven in plenty of snow in my life, but never with an Audi Quattro. So how does it stack up versus a 4-wheel drive truck? I don't care about setting land-speed records. I just want to get there in one piece and if I have to go through a deep drift, what are the chances we can churn through it?

Thank you.
National weather service says 18-24" in the immediate Boston area, with more as you get into New Hampshire and less as you go south to Providence. You will be fine with the Audi. Have you seen the videos of a Q5 driving through 2 feet of snow on a grassy knoll? Or that Audi Allroad (with quattro) plowing its own lane on the highway breakdown lane? Honestly I think you'll be fine, especially if you plan on giving birth at a hospital. Major roads leading to the police/fire departments and hospitals will be cleared first.

Also to address your comment about the pickup truck. My other vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline which is the only real-time 4WD pickup truck on the market with traction and stability control. The Q5 definitely handles better in snow and icy conditions. The Audi senses slippage much quicker and corrects itself, whereas with my Honda I have white knuckles.

Last edited by Parsec; 02-07-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you.
Im finally putting my Q5 to the test in this storm lol.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Im finally putting my Q5 to the test in this storm lol.
LOL me too. My wife is staying home tomorrow so I'm going to take the Q5 into Boston for work and see how it does on the way home. I'm tempted to stay in the office the whole day just so I can try driving during the heavy snowfall.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
LOL me too. My wife is staying home tomorrow so I'm going to take the Q5 into Boston for work and see how it does on the way home. I'm tempted to stay in the office the whole day just so I can try driving during the heavy snowfall.
Go to YouTube and search for "audi quattro snow"

Lots of great examples of what the quattro system is capable of. Fun to watch videos. These are real life examples and not those gimmicky videos the BMW guys show to claim that the x-drive system is better than quattro.

From what you have described you should be OK.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you.
Two years ago, Tulsa had an accumulation of 24" of snow.....unheard of....a record. My Q5 2.0T went through it like it wasn't there. You'll have no worries, just remember to allow plenty of room for stopping distances.
Years ago, there was an Audi video of an A6 Quattro climbing up a 100m ski jump.....repeatedly...just to prove the point. Quattro rules the Planet.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only issue you night have is ground clearance if it piles up in front of you...

I had a land rover stopped by snow drifts when I was overseas and it lifted the tires off the ground

Parsec...
my 2012 f250 4x4 has stability and traction control - along with nav, and heated, and cooled seats
oh, but you may be saying the ridgeline is the only AWD pickup that has it ?

(Us real truck owners used to think those ridgelines were so cute !)

teasing !!!! I actually looked closely at one of them years ago, but decided to go another direction...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 02-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Parsec...
my 2012 f250 4x4 has stability and traction control - along with nav, and heated, and cooled seats
oh, but you may be saying the ridgeline is the only AWD pickup that has it ?

(Us real truck owners used to think those ridgelines were so cute !)

teasing !!!! I actually looked closely at one of them years ago, but decided to go another direction...
LOL, I know "real" truck owners don't respect the Ridgeline and that's fine. It suits my needs because I'm an accountant who does DIY projects on the weekends. What do I need a full-size truck for except my ego? It tows and hauls anything I need to since I don't own a 30-foot bayliner and I don't need 5th wheel towing capabilities. Besides, I like the trunk under the bed which fits all my family's luggage when we go on vacation. I also like the 4-wheel independent suspension which means no wheel wells in the bed. I can lay 4x8 sheetrock flat in the bed (can't do that in a Tacoma or Ranger).

Anyway, yes. I meant its the only pickup with real-time 4WD. I don't need to turn a **** to engage 4x4. Sorry to go off topic rjrdomer.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you have dedicated snow tires, the vehicle has the power, traction, electronics, and ground clearance to make it A BEAST in the snow.

One of my favorite things to do in the snow with our Q5 is from a stop, just floor it. It doesn't matter how how slippery it is, the car just GOES and GOES STRAIGHT. It's a blast! As long as you hold the steering wheel straight ahead, the electronics makes it as though it's a slotcar. Try it, but I didn't tell you that
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An Audi in the snow is an Audi in its natural habitat. I'd love if I had dedicated winters but with the OEM all seasons, it goes through deep snow like there was nothing on the road. When we had that Blizzard 2 years back in December of 2010, I made it home from skiing at Stowe in VT, to NYC through two feet of snow.

Quick Reply: Q5 in snow