S4 Won't start or turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Won't start or turn over

I just recently bought a 2004 S4- manual transmission. It runs fine, but sometimes it will not start. It will not ever turn over. It has happened when it is Cold or warm. I have done the following to try and fix the problem:
1. Clutch Switch both of them- I have bypassed the with the wiring.
Still no fix and I something still get a "Press clutch to start message."
2. Starter- Taken off and re-built. Starter was checked and it was fine, but while it was off I had it gone through and cleaned and re-built. It starts faster than it used to- when it starts.
3. Battery- replaced with new battery. Still will not turn over.

It is like the starter is not ever getting power. It is not attempting to turn over at all. I am thinking their must be another switch someware that is bad, but I don't know where to look.

We have been doing all the repairs ourselves to save $$$$. I really don't want to take it anywhere especially because I would have to tow it right now.

Anymore ideas???
Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default hmmm maybe the immobilizer?

is it happening with both keys? could be the key barrel also you can check the ignition relay
Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That or the ignition switch...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Default Re: hmmm maybe the immobilizer?

I second that. And sounds like your spending more money than your saving. Might as well take it to the dealer.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: S4 Won't start or turn over

I'm going through the same issues as we speak with my B6 S4, and my garage thought it was the immobilzer also, then when checking codes, nothing...so they're leaning towards the starter also....if you've already rebuilt yours and seen no real results, I'll pass your information on and see. Does your S4 not start more often in the mornings?or after you leave it for 6+ hours without driving it? It seems like mine takes almost 15mins and some praying and then, like there as nothing wrong it just turns over???It's like chasing a ghost...then after it starts and I shut it off and come back to it starts right up..???? It's has been getting worse for the last month...so I'll need to get it fixed before it plays dead forever. If you get any insight on your problem, can you pass it along? I'll do the same once my garage gets it within the next couple weeks.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Did you ever figure out what that was? my a4 is doing exactly that

Originally Posted by algee007
I'm going through the same issues as we speak with my B6 S4, and my garage thought it was the immobilzer also, then when checking codes, nothing...so they're leaning towards the starter also....if you've already rebuilt yours and seen no real results, I'll pass your information on and see. Does your S4 not start more often in the mornings?or after you leave it for 6+ hours without driving it? It seems like mine takes almost 15mins and some praying and then, like there as nothing wrong it just turns over???It's like chasing a ghost...then after it starts and I shut it off and come back to it starts right up..???? It's has been getting worse for the last month...so I'll need to get it fixed before it plays dead forever. If you get any insight on your problem, can you pass it along? I'll do the same once my garage gets it within the next couple weeks.
Did you ever figure that issue out? I have the same problem with my a4 and it seems to get worse when it gets colder