A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Winter wheel/tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter wheel/tire recommendation?

I'm taking delivery of a 2018 allroad in September. I live in a ski town and with my current Passat wagon I always have had two sets of wheels and tires for easy changeover. Can anyone tell me the part number of the OEM wheels that my allroad will come with? I am thinking of getting another set of the same wheels but also am curious what the other Audi options are. All I can find on the website is wheel accessories, not actual wheels. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. All ears for snow tire suggestions too.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I would suggest that it is a waste of money to buy more OEM wheels. Find something you like on TireRack.com {link} and check that it is appropriate for the weight of the Allroad, and you will enough money left over to buy the tires.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier
I'm taking delivery of a 2018 allroad in September. I live in a ski town and with my current Passat wagon I always have had two sets of wheels and tires for easy changeover. Can anyone tell me the part number of the OEM wheels that my allroad will come with? I am thinking of getting another set of the same wheels but also am curious what the other Audi options are. All I can find on the website is wheel accessories, not actual wheels. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. All ears for snow tire suggestions too.
I can get you the part number when I'm home from work.

However, maybe I would suggest getting an aftermarket or used set from another Audi off CL (19/20" something or other...) to run for your summer wheels?

Then, like myself, use the OEM wheels for winters. To me the cost of a set of OEM wheels would far outweigh the time/cost of seasonal mounting and balancing.

My other point is the OEM wheels are a higher quality wheel than most aftermarket wheels and you don't want to crack a wheel in the winter driving on our awesome WA pass roads.

I also put Blizzak LM001 tires on my OEM wheels, obviously I haven't had a chance to run them yet.... However, I have had Blizzaks on my B8 Avant and loved them over the other winter tires I have had on my B5 or other vehicles. Previous include Dunlop winter sport 3D, Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli something or other.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Do others agree 19" is a better wheel size for the summer tires? The only problem with that plan is then I'm stuck with the factory all-season tires. I would sell them, but live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming with a limited number of buyers around.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure Wyoming is the only state without an Audi dealership. I am driving 5 hours to Audi Salt Lake City to pick up my allroad.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

It all depends on what you will be doing with the car and how you drive. The bigger wheels will usually get you a rougher ride but sharper handling.

I run 20's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. I love the summer handling and advantage of a good high performance tire.

Have you driven a B9 Allroad yet? (I know you have one on the way, but they can be hard to find to drive) I found the comfort mode and stock tires to be too soft for me.

I think there are some complaints with the factory Conti TX tires that come on the car. You could keep them and put them back on when you sell the car as an added sales bonus!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, it used to be many of the OEM Audi wheels were manufactured by Ronal. This is true with my A3 ('10). I used the OEM for winter and purchased a summer set through Neuspeed (not Ronal though). Both held up well. Tire Rack does carry Ronal wheels, which would give you comfort in knowing they were manufactured to OEM specs presumably. They may not offer the styles you want, but you could search other vendors.
I just took delivery of my '18 and have yet to pull the wheels to investigate as it's having PPF applied. Same plan here, looking for 19" or 20" for summer.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noggybowl
I can get you the part number when I'm home from work.

However, maybe I would suggest getting an aftermarket or used set from another Audi off CL (19/20" something or other...) to run for your summer wheels?

Then, like myself, use the OEM wheels for winters. To me the cost of a set of OEM wheels would far outweigh the time/cost of seasonal mounting and balancing.

My other point is the OEM wheels are a higher quality wheel than most aftermarket wheels and you don't want to crack a wheel in the winter driving on our awesome WA pass roads.

I also put Blizzak LM001 tires on my OEM wheels, obviously I haven't had a chance to run them yet.... However, I have had Blizzaks on my B8 Avant and loved them over the other winter tires I have had on my B5 or other vehicles. Previous include Dunlop winter sport 3D, Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli something or other.

Hope that helps.
The LM001's are great on the Allroad. I ran them all last winter and they worked great.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Diesel320
For what it's worth, it used to be many of the OEM Audi wheels were manufactured by Ronal. This is true with my A3 ('10). I used the OEM for winter and purchased a summer set through Neuspeed (not Ronal though). Both held up well. Tire Rack does carry Ronal wheels, which would give you comfort in knowing they were manufactured to OEM specs presumably. They may not offer the styles you want, but you could search other vendors.
I just took delivery of my '18 and have yet to pull the wheels to investigate as it's having PPF applied. Same plan here, looking for 19" or 20" for summer.
The new stock wheels on the B9 Allroad are manufactured by Speedline.

Vehicle manufacturers have their own specs that they will demand out of wheel and tire manufacturers. So, just because you get Ronal wheels doesn't mean they are the same.

Tires also fit under the same statement. You will notice that for a few years now Audi OEM tires will have a R01 designation on the sidewall. That means the tread pattern, load, etc are what Audi deems correct to not have low speed chatter in a parking lot or high speed wander on the freeway for the most part. Other manufacturers do it also Porsche (N1), Ferrari, BMW, you name it.

Also as a side note, if you ever buy a Audi Certified used vehicle, they are required to have tires on them that Audi Approves. Audi has a list somewhere that may not have the R01 stamp, but they will allow for certification. This keeps customers from saying they have suspension groans or that kind of thing and have parts replaced under the extended warranty. (Sorry, sidebar)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bumping this thread as I am again in need of advice. I foolishly bought a snow tire and wheel package from the Audi dealer where I purchased my '18 allroad in September. The winter wheels they sold me are 18" with an offset of 36 and tires are size 235 45 R18. The allroad stock wheels are also 18" but with an offset of 29 (I think) and the tires are 245 45 R18. I did not have the snows installed right away because it was not winter so I drove home with them in the back. The kicker: from the closest Audi dealer to my house is a 5 hour drive.

Fast forward two months, I go to the local Big O Tires for changeover and they say the winter wheel setup Audi sold me simply will not fit on the car. They are too busy to explain properly but agree not to charge me despite having taken all four wheels off, trying the winter ones and putting the others back on. I call the Audi salesperson and he wants to send me some sort of hub rings to fill any gap at the center bore, he thinks that is the issue. I think the issue is actually the offset. I'm clearly not a car person but 36 seems awfully different from 29. Even the salesperson now acknowledges the recommended offset range for the allroad is 24-32 but he still wants to try and make the setup work from afar with some combination of spacers/rings.

Is there any way to make these winter wheels I bought work or are they simply not right for the car? I am leaning towards driving 10 hours back to the Audi dealer to let them make the wheels work or give me a refund. What would you do?

Good news is I absolutely love the car.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Offset alone does not determine the fit. Those have only 7mm difference. If the winter wheels are a half-inch narrower they could easily have the same amount of clearance.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire recommendation?