A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light

how do i go about checking the connection under the passenger seat? does the seat have to be removed? any tips before i dive into this? what does the connector look like?

After i clean it out, i need a vag to try to clear it right?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Might as well check the problem with VAG-COM before you waste time chasing it.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: airbag light

You don't have to remove the seat. It's right under the passanger seat...smaller connector (Purple and Yellow color) and it's a tight fit to get both hands under. There's really not much you can do to clean it, but you do need a Vag to clear it.

I'm in the process of doing that right now, hoping that I don't have a real Air Bag problem. I've heard if you just disconnect it and then clear the code, it will often go away.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default vag.com to clear it

mine goes on every time my seat is adjusted. I vag-com to clear the codes and it is fine until the next time seats are adjusted.
I haven't had the motivation to disconnect, clean, zip tie the connector...tried it once and couldn't figure out the secret to disconnecting the connector - have not seen it posted here.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same here and with the last 3 B5 A4's I've seen: All passenger seat, etc....

But VAG-COM told me that. I zip tied mine so that it won't get tugged on with seat movement and has not come back on since. Tell you the truth I've been cringing each time a tall person gets in the passenger seat, often, but still holding strong even when seat is maxed all the way back. I also zip tied the connector so that it can' really separate much if at all...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Same here and with the last 3 B5 A4's I've seen: All passenger seat, etc....

That may be my problem, because it did get dis-lodged form the bracket that holds it in place. I'm gonna try that once I find someone with a Vag to clear the code.

The connector is a real bitch, you have to use both hands and there is a small piece (purple color) you have to puch in with a small screwdriver that will releash the latch, then you can pull it apart.

Mine looked perfectly clean though, so I didn't bother with it.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, you need VAG-COM it will look fine even if it has been yanked, giving DTC's, etc.

On my Avant I pulled it apart and cleaned it and put in some dielectric grease then ZipTied it using a "3rd hand brake tool" to get it tight even though it looked fine. However, that seems unnecessary as the other two that I helped people out with we just cleared the code and made sure it wouldn't get yanked by seat adjustments. AFAIK, those two cars are still DTC free as far as the Airbag light goes anyway...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Airbag light also came on for no reason. It came on and then turned off. Then came back on and stayed on. I bought the vag-com software and cable from Ross Tech on ebay. I then loaded the software on my laptop and plugged it into the com port on my 2004 S4. I am very new to this software so not sure how to clear the code. Can anyone give me some directions on what I need to do with the vag-com software to clear this stupid Airbag light? Thank You
Old 05-03-2009, 05:08 AM
I was lost, now I'm found

First you should go to the B6 S4 forum, second start a new post.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am having this problem too, mine comes on intermittently constantly since last servicing and occasionally prior to that.

Is there a link to other threads that cover this topic?

Quick Reply: airbag light