A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

fitting plus size wheels 96 a4.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting plus size wheels 96 a4.

I'm ready to purchase new tires, and would like to go ahead and get plus size rims with new tires. my only interest in getting larger tires is to fill the gap between the tire and fender well, to get that larger performance tire look and fill the space.

i found that my factory size 205/55r16 can be replaced with 255/35r19. the difference between the 205/55 and 255/35 is the thickness between the tread and rim, and the tire width.

but if the larger rim equals a thinner side wall, then the space of the wheel-well is not going to change much. it seems like the steering knuckle and tie-rod will not allow a tire large enough tire to fill the wheel well; and i'm not sure that the additional tread width will clear those parts.

my question is... do i need to upgrade all those steering and suspension components in order to fit a tire large enough?

will the plus size wheel options be not enough give the car that big-wheel race performance look?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why on earth do you want a 255 tire on your A4? A 225 or 235 is the widest you should go with.

Do you really want to change control arms just to accommodate big wheels?

It is very basic, and here it is: when you plus size tires, you increase rim diameter, but decrease sidewall I the tire. And, pay attention here, THE WHEEL DIAMETER STAYS THE SAME. Wow!

Now, when you put low profile tires, you want to decrease the wheel well gap. For this, you lower the car (again, LOWER, not slam).

So what you'll need is a set of rims, tires, and new springs/shocks or coil overs.

And Google is your friend on how to plus size the tires.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey GTA, thanks for the reply, i missed typed, even my hand write slip about this says that a suitable plus tire is 225/40r18, bad on my part for that.

from -- 205/55r16
to -- 225/40r18

you're saying that the wheel diameter stays the same, that's what i thought and that sounds good because my whole inqury is about whether all those existing parts won't run against a new larger wheel.

i don't want to replace any parts, also i'm NOT interested in lowering the car, only obtaining larger looking wheels.

now you've helped me understand that i have to lower the car just to diminsh the wheel-well gap. i will google about this, and yes i've nearly exhausted most of the info from google about pluse tire sizing and lowers cars. it's only been a few days since i started researching this process and i;m kind of novice as it is with auto manipulations. thanks very much again for the tips.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

18 or 19 inch rims on a stock 96 will look really stupid IMHO. You need suspension first , your car is 16 years old, then rims.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

u may open as they say a CAN OF WORMS,by doing rims and tires,

look the AUDI over,see what it really needs,if i can help let know,

DAN B.

SUNCOAST AUDI,
Old 02-08-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with putting low profile tires and 18" rims on stock suspension is that they will accentuate the wheel well even more. You will not like the look. You may go to 17" and keep the stock suspension, it may look decent, but anything higher I wouldn't attempt without lowering.

It's not the best way to spend money on a 1996 car, but then why not? There are guys with even older Audis who mod them still.

It depends on what condition the car is in, and whether you have the money and want to part with it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm looking into old used rims, nothing fancy or new.

I understand what u mean by looking not so good with larger tires and not lowering,

now, i'm reading articles about cutting springs.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atlasrising
i'm reading articles about cutting springs.
Poor car!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Poor car!
eh, won't happen.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't buy brand less or replica rims. I did, from ebay. Looked good. But turned out they were made out of very soft alloy, so every little pothole would bend them.

Quick Reply: fitting plus size wheels 96 a4.