A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Headlight Connections

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Connections

Hello All,

I bought some HID headlights cheerfully hoping for a plug and play. After plugging in my year, model and make of my vehicle on ebay and specifically with a seller, the headlights that I now have popped up. Unfortunately for me, the seller sent me lights that do not correspond with my vehicle at all. The headlights neither fit into the headlight cavity on the vehicle nor have the same plugs as the 1999.5 B5 A4 I am working with. I tried to return but, time passed and thisngs didn't happen. Frustrating but I need to make the best of this.
As my vehicle is worth the same modified (cutting the headlight cavities wider) as it is stock, I need to use this investment I have made.

The problem,

Not a single connector corresponds with the headlight connectors my vehicle comes with. Modifying the vehicle doesn't bother me too much but work can't begin until I can find the connections. The original connectors will be cut from the vehicle and the replacements can be spliced into the car.
I apologize if the relevance of this post isn't so specific to the B5 A4. There is not an obvious way to finding these connections, I have tried a couple of websites and they have told me that these connections are more specialized and don't carry them.
Any help regarding will be greatly appreciated

Ballast connection to connect to the vehicle for power

Ballast connection to connect to the vehicle for power

External signal light connector from the new headlight housing

The two cables in the right are internal housing connections, the black piece is the external connection.

internal connector from the new main headlight housing

internal connector from the new main headlight housing

external headlight housing connector of the new headlights

external headlight housing connector of the new headlights

OEM headlight connection from the vehicle

The OEM signal light nonnection from the vehicle

side view of the OEM signal light connector
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, What I have figured out from communicating with audi a bit is that these new connections are from the 1999.5 model. There was a significant facelift of the 1999.5. These connections are from the newer car.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This adapter should help:
http://festyy.com/wNJovj
Visually the connectors seem to match
i know its expensive, but the alternative is retro fitting the corresponding wires to the connector, so unless you know much about car electrics, a simple adapter should be the best way.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The product you sent in the thread seems like exactly what I am looking for. It looks like something that might not last that long as there is plenty of open spaces between the connections.

How hard would it be to make my own connections? The product looks like it will easily work, but just to make an informed decision.
Any suggestions for electrical schematics of the headlights of the 1999 and 1999.5? I trust my ability to make the splice.

There is a wreckers that buys alot of audi vehicles from my year, the 1999 and 1999.5. The wreckers said that they had the 'pigtails' of the 1999.5 connections which I could splice into the system. Would it be frowned upon to modify the original wiring harness from the vechicle?