A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help! - Front Bumper Gouges (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-1999, 01:37 PM
Mark Pirri

Default Help! - Front Bumper Gouges (longish)

Okay, so I was backing out of my really scary-narrow garage today in my month old A4. In the process of trying to avoid hitting the (larger for '99!) passenger-side mirror on the edge of the garage (which my roommate has done with his car), I manuvered a bit too drastically and hit the jagged cement wall with the front bumper.<p>In short - I am a stupid idiot. One would think that someone who isn't capable of backing out of a garage without hitting the wall doesn't deserve an A4. *sigh*<p>Well, the damage is, while not fatal, quite frusterating. There are a series of fairly deep horizontal gouges on the bumper just forward of the front passenger-side wheel. Obviously, a simple buffing is not going to fix this. Touch-up paint might help a little, but it won't make the grooves go away.<p>What can I do? The car is Volcano Black, so the whiteish gouges (because of the shredded plastic) stand out and really bother me. Only a very edge of the metal body-panel was lightly scratched - not a gouge, so I can probably take care of that with touch-up paint.<p>If I take this to a body shop or my neighborhood Audi dealership, what will they charge me to make this go away? Is there a better solution?<p>Thanks in advance, all!<p>Mark Pirri<br>slightly wounded '99 1.8TQM
Old 01-09-1999, 06:00 PM
LouisE

Default Re: Help! - Front Bumper Gouges (longish)

No better solution than a good body shop and $300 or so (based on the info provided). I have had similar repairs done to a GTI with great results.
Old 01-10-1999, 06:06 AM
Wayne

Default Re: Help! - Front Bumper Gouges (longish)

Hey, sounds just like mine. Same side too. I've looked around for the best options, but sounds like the only way to make it new again is to respray the whole bumper. Here is a picture of my mishap.
Old 12-11-1999, 11:13 AM
pauls

Default Tom, oh 98 A4 sage, some questions.......

I've been trying to put my car together and just tossed it as some kind of mix. It fits your criteria of the second style of A4 except for the tail lights, it has amber ones, and the build date. The interior may have been called terra cotta but my GF has a 99 (not 99.5) w/ecru and my interior color matches hers exactly. As I posted below the build date was in Aug. '97 with VIN: WAUED68D6WA006776 so there must be some exceptions to the rules?? It sounds like you might be the person that would know. Do you have this info documented somewhere? If you do could you email it to me, please, please.
Tanx
P
Old 12-11-1999, 01:41 PM
George H

Found it! Driver side completely worn, passenger side readable. Thanks