A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HOLY SH!T PUT DIESEL IN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOLY **** PUT DIESEL IN!!!!

I drove my stock '96 A4B5Q 12V cross-country again to visit the parents and they had a few fuel cans they wanted to empty since they had been sitting for a bit. They were used for their riding lawn mower. Well my mom freaking peer-pressured me into emptying one out but my dad didn't tell her that one was designated for diesel. I put all 5 gallons of it in my car!
Any suggestions as to my options? The diesel definitely got into the injectors. It noticed it when the engine started to sputter... perhaps I was fortunate that the car ran for a bit before I drove it away.
Thanks for any help!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sure, blame Mom for you not noticing the smell as you poured that free"gas".Anyway I would siphon all that I could out of the car or should I say tank.Then I would disconnect the fuel lines [feed and return] as close as i could to the engine.Then I would pressurize the tank so all the fuel came out those 2 lines.Put a air hose with blow gun attached to the fill spout and put rag around it. Might help to have somone cap lines with finger to let a little pressure build up then release it. Also change the fuel filter.Maybe even have filter off when you blow it out then blow it from filter line forward. I am not sure about the injectors , they may clear out when you run it with high test,maybe throw some injector cleaner in tank.You did run it mixed so I think all it needs is a little love. The good news is the engine really is not harmed, it just hates you now for feeding it 40 octane.Merry Christmas !
Old 12-19-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the help, yeah it was my fault for not smelling the tank first. Still working on the project, breaking for lunch. That fuel filter is a bitch!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm actually in the process of attempting to drop the tank, the freaking clamp around the fuel filter is ridiculous. Over-engineered in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would think siphoning it and filling it with premium and additives would dilute that diesel enough. It's your call carry on. Lets us know how it turned out. Guess you will not be putting anymore free fuel into it again.Does your engine call for premium ?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you guys are both going overboard here. Just use the fuel pump to pump out as much as you can, then fill with free gas. Drive easy on the first tank. You don't need to get every drop out.

Dropping the tank is lunacy.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm done attempting to drop the tank...NO WAY. I've been trying to siphon but I've been having trouble getting a hose deep enough into the tank.

Good advice 4Driver4 and Gomer. But when you say fuel pump you are referring to a siphoning device right?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm referring to the factory fuel pump. No syphon will get more than the factory pump.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was about to head back out when I caught your reply...How do I use the pump to get the fuel out?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unhook the fuel line at engine and turn key on it will pump untill dry.

Quick Reply: HOLY SH!T PUT DIESEL IN!!!!