A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

News Flash: Montanabahn now really doesn't have a daytime limit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-1998, 09:06 AM
ErikR

Default News Flash: Montanabahn now really doesn't have a daytime limit...

Newsflash:<p>A total fool took our daytime reasonable and prudent speed limit to the state supreme court for 2 $70 tickets and had the speed limit overturned. <p>Now we'll get numerical speed limits of 75 mph%%%%### in a month with the next legislature. This dirt bag couldn't pay two tickets, but could afford to get a lawyer for 3 court cases. The pathetic irony of all of this is that he will pay well-over $70 a ticket now for his BAD driving and he won't be able to contest it with a numerical limit.<p>So, for the next month we have literally NO SPEED LIMIT in the daytime in Montana. But the patrol will hand out dangerous driving tickets like candy. Too bad it's winter here.<p>This is a total drag for me because I used to drive here with total impunity at triple digits. Now it's cruise control 79!
Old 12-24-1998, 09:56 AM
Erik Addy

Default Re: News Flash: Montanabahn now really doesn't have a daytime limit...

That Bastard!!!<br>Nothing better than cruising on the Interstate at 100mph+, or blasting through a country sweeper in my modified quattro in Montana. There are some REALLY nice roads just to the east of Glacier National Park out there. And they are deserted after the summer tourist season.<p>Since this guy is so sue-happy, do you think quattro owners could file a class-action suit for "loss of automotive enjoyment" against him?<p>depresed in minnesota.<br>erik
Old 12-24-1998, 10:19 AM
ErikR

Default @#@$%$^*(

I tried really hard to tone down my feelings too.<p>I know the roads you are talking about. Some of my favorite in the west. They were paved about 5 years ago and were superb then. Now the "free range cattle" make it pretty exciting in the summer and at night. I'm driving on them next week and they are REALLY fun in the snow.
Old 12-24-1998, 03:16 PM
stanj

Default Could not disagree more.

I paid the $70 last August. But I disagree strongly with your attitude. Yes, there is no posted speed limit and I was caught at 114mph. I was upset about this because nobody ever posted what WAS safe and prudent. When you get out of Yellowstone, it says "60-70mph" on that road. On the interstate, nobody ever told me.<p>To me, this newly coming speed limit is a great thing. At all times will I know whether and how much illegal I am. I think that in a nation where people sue doll manufacturers for the doll eating an infants hair, for spilling coffee on their lap, to name a few, I sure as hell want to know what is legal and what not. If I want to be "safe" I stay within the speed limit. If I am in a big rush, then I also know immediately what I am getting myself into. <p>Yes, I would prefer a speed limit of 85 or 105 or even 130. But IF someone can come after you, I'd rather know what this line is. I earned some points for something I still don't understand, and that's one of the worst things about it. After years on German Autobahn I am just maybe getting too old for it.<p>- Stan<br>
Old 12-25-1998, 10:20 PM
ChuckH

Most of the roads around Glacier Park are pretty good drives! :-)
Old 12-25-1998, 10:55 PM
Scott G

Default Re: It works in Germany.

In Germany they have unlimited sections on the Autobahn that become limited according to weather, etc. Why is it that Americans must to have everything so spelled out? I read the article in the news and felt very sad that we are going to loose Montana as the last place where you can truly be free.