A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Parking Break

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-1999, 03:59 PM
Jaon Falk

Default Parking Break

Two times I have driven my car 98' A4 2.8QM about five miles, put the parking break on and left the car only to come back and find that the car has rolled into another car. The first time (last summer) was no big deal, the car moved about two feet and came to rest on my Dad's car. Last night the car rolled about three feet on a very slight incline into a CRV and hit the spare tire on the back of the CRV. The problem is dammage to my hood, I now have a dent above the grill. The parking break was on, but the car was not in gear. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? What could cause this.
Old 01-26-1999, 04:01 PM
Dale B

Default Re: Parking Brake

1) Not engaging parking brake hard enough (pull up harder on lever).<p>2) Always park with car in gear! It isn't in any way hard on any parts to do so.
Old 01-26-1999, 04:10 PM
JT

Default Don't mean to be a jerk, but why WOULDN'T you leave the car in gear?

If you did, there would be NOWAY it could roll! It's like putting it in "PARK" with a manual transmission car.<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 01-26-1999, 04:20 PM
jon

Default Re: Don't mean to be a jerk, but why WOULDN'T you leave the car in gear?

Just not a habit to use the trans to hold the car in place on such a minor grade, until yesterday that is.
Old 01-26-1999, 05:10 PM
G. Hale

Default Re: Parking Break

When pulling the parking brake, sometimes the center armrest prevents the brake from being fully actuated. I would always leave the car either in 1st or reverse, and pull the parking brake as well. I pull the parking brake before letting off the foot brake as to not let the weight of the car set on the transmission. Unlike with automatics, manual transmissions can roll even in gear given a sharp enough incline. The upside is that you can always push the clutch to get the car out of gear whereas I've seen Auto's where someone parked them on a steep incline without the parking brake and then could not get the car out of Park until the car was pulled back some to get the weight off the transmission. (What a long sentence!)
Old 01-26-1999, 05:33 PM
dalinguist

Default sp: Parking Break??!! is that where you park and have a picnic? BRAKE!

<br>nt
Old 01-26-1999, 05:57 PM
Parking Police

Curb your wheels!!
Old 01-26-1999, 07:16 PM
Becker...

Default Probably a good habit to get into (more)

I don't know where you live, but here in Chicago cars used to have problems with brakes "locking" while using the parking brake during a deep freeze. From what I hear, never happened to me, the parking brake cable becomes wet, then freezes. Could be a wives tale, but that is just another reason to park your car in gear.
Old 01-26-1999, 07:37 PM
Nico

It's not a wives tale. From my experience, you shouldn't use the parking brake in below freezing temperatures
Old 01-26-1999, 08:40 PM
vik

Default Here's one reason:

If your car gets hit while in gear, that could cause transmission damage.<p>That said, I always park in gear AND put the e-brake on. Aren't I ****?.... ;-)

Quick Reply: Parking Break