A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Serious problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-1999, 03:19 PM
John

Default Serious problem?

Okay, I know I have to take the car to the dealer for this problem, but it will have to wait until I get back from vacation in three weeks. So, here it is. After driving the '98 A4 2.8tip for nearly 15 minutes, as the car comes to a complete stop the brakes seem to shutter and there is an obvious noise coming from the front of the car. Could this be an ABS problem or perhaps the rotors? Furthermore, I've noticed just today that when I first accelerate there's an immediate whining sound (medium to high pitch) coming from, I believe, the engine or transmission (this happens everytime from a stop and only last a second). I have also reproduced this problem while stopped and the car is in drive. These problems concern me greatly. The car is only 8 months old with only 12,800 miles and I drive relatively conservatively here in L.A.. Am I paranoid?
Old 07-27-1999, 03:51 PM
david

Default you can never worry too much, that said-calm down...

get to the dealer, and make them check it out!<br>Ignore the guy at the counter, ask to talk directly to the guy who works on the car.<br>After you recount your experience and he formulates his theory, make him fix it! If it persists, complain all over (AoA, dealership manager, related business associations, your congressman, etc.) and then go back explaining who you have complained to.
Old 07-27-1999, 04:06 PM
britoki (Brian T)

Default This may or may not help

this tsb is for a Passat Tip, so whether this is relevant, i don't know.<p>but others on the board have mentioned your problem, I don't know what the resolution is.<p><ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com/pdf/v379902.pdf">Passat Tiptronic TSB</a></li></ul>