A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

P0741 - 17125 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0741 - 17125 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.

Hi,

I have a 2004 A4 3 Quattro.

Like 1.5 months ago, I was having hard engage on my 5 speed tip. I had the transmission drained filter replaced etc, filled back up. Everything seemed to better afterwards.

Like 2 weeks ago and 700 km or so later, this code came up:

17125 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.
P0741 - 003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

I cleared the code, and it seemed to be fine afterwards. Driving around the city MIL light came up again. Same code as above. I left it, and it cleared by itself.

Now its come on again.

Anyone have any comments? I searched the forum/google and in general, some people say the whole torque converter needs to be replaced, some say add more fluid.. some say flush again.

Is there any definitive answer? Driving around things seem pretty normal.

Sean
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Actually, after driving around tonight, things are NOT normal. The car seems to almost want to "think" about what gear to go into from stop... stepping on the gas there is a good pause before bang engage and she goes upto 2nd gear.. and from there on the tach bounces around.

Any ideas from former posters?

Googling and searching the forums, many people have had the code, but there is never any follow up posting, as to what the fix is.

Worse, case, talking to a local indy shop, its torque converter placement. 10 hours * $105 an hour, and parts.. plus fluid.. its like a $3000-4000 job. I'm not even sure its worth it.. I can buy a new one.. this charge will pay lease payments for like 8 months.. longer than I have had this beast.

Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have just started experiencing what I think is a Torque Converter / Torque Clutch issue in my 2002 A4 3.0 with the 5 speed Automatic Transmission.

I know from years of driving my A4 that when I am cruising on the highway in 5th gear at 80mph that the engine is turning at 3,000 RPMs. This morning as I was cruising downthe highway to the office I looked at the gauges and noticed that at 3,000 RPMs that I was only going 70 mph. I accellorated to 80 mph and the RPM surged above 3,500. Additionally I noticed that when slowing from 60 to 30 mph that the RPMs dipped very low (@1,200rpm) and the surge higher to 2,000 rpm. Another symptom - When cruising at 70mph I'll hear a quick rom change then feel the car almost lurch forward. It is almost like the tranny is trying to finding the higher gear and when it does it finally engages.

How do you think this compares to what you are experiencing?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4AdMan
slowing from 60 to 30 mph that the RPMs dipped very low (@1,200rpm) and the surge higher to 2,000 rpm. Another symptom - When cruising at 70mph I'll hear a quick rom change then feel the car almost lurch forward. It is almost like the tranny is trying to finding the higher gear and when it does it finally engages.
This was what mine was doing. I'm fixed now -

Initially I had symptons very same as yours. Posting and searching boards, it seemed like I had low fluid. I took it into to an indy shop, they said the fluid was fine - but dirty. I got it drained, and the filter changed and then filled back up. That fluid is more expensive than beer!

Everything seemed fine for a few weeks after, but then I started experiencing all sorts off issues, like yours above.

Calling around, it sounded like I needed a new torque converter. I eventually found another, more expensive indy shop, which claims they had the tools to properly check it out. Apparantly there is more than just waiting for fluid to bubble out of the fill on the side.... they offered to check for free, so why the heck not - free was cheaper than $3000 for new torque converter.

Anyways, a few hours later - according to them, I had 1.5L to much fluid in the transmission, which was causing all my issues.. they took it out.

Anyways, since then... the tranny has been working great. Shifts are way faster.

Not sure if this helps or not - but what I did learn from the shop that fixed it - unless your chipping etc, its very rare (in their experience) that a stock cars torque converter would need replacement.

I'd get the fluid checked... at a reputable shop! These guys replace them all the time, after they are burned out ... and apparantly fluid level issues cause all sorts of issues.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you changed the fluid and filter and the issue didn't go away, it's likely a bad torque converter. See this article:

http://www.articlesbase.com/cars-art...ns-350850.html
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

im geting this as well not good do you no where to fined a new one tho i cant seem to get one
Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by seanwg
This was what mine was doing. I'm fixed now -

Initially I had symptons very same as yours. Posting and searching boards, it seemed like I had low fluid. I took it into to an indy shop, they said the fluid was fine - but dirty. I got it drained, and the filter changed and then filled back up. That fluid is more expensive than beer!

Everything seemed fine for a few weeks after, but then I started experiencing all sorts off issues, like yours above.

Calling around, it sounded like I needed a new torque converter. I eventually found another, more expensive indy shop, which claims they had the tools to properly check it out. Apparantly there is more than just waiting for fluid to bubble out of the fill on the side.... they offered to check for free, so why the heck not - free was cheaper than $3000 for new torque converter.

Anyways, a few hours later - according to them, I had 1.5L to much fluid in the transmission, which was causing all my issues.. they took it out.

Anyways, since then... the tranny has been working great. Shifts are way faster.

Not sure if this helps or not - but what I did learn from the shop that fixed it - unless your chipping etc, its very rare (in their experience) that a stock cars torque converter would need replacement.

I'd get the fluid checked... at a reputable shop! These guys replace them all the time, after they are burned out ... and apparantly fluid level issues cause all sorts of issues.
Dude I'm thinking this is my issue I rebuilt my trans last year and have been dealing with this issue since then just assuming I messed something up like the hose to the valve body or something but when I went to top off the trans fluid today I had so much extra in there. Did your problem go away isntently or did it take a but to work the air bubbles out of the system ?