A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Question about dipstick and topping off oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about dipstick and topping off oil.

i was wondering, what is the liquid amount that it takes to fill up from the first bottom hole on the dipstick to the second hole above it?

Is the oil always supposed to be covering the upper hole? every month or two, it seems like oil goes down just below the top hole (not the minimum hole) and i feel the need to refill it so oil covers both holes.
Am i being ****? is it necessary to top oil off so it covers both holes?
this is my second time topping it off and i have only 2,500 miles with dino oil where the oil was a little bit below the top hole.....is this normal? (i have about 7,000 miles on odometer).
is my car losing too much oil?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Question about dipstick and topping off oil.

your car is turboed and it will eat up some oil. dont worry about it. normally the amount from one hole to the other is 1 quart. to be safe id go with half a quart first. i change my oil every 3k miles. dont believe in that 10k mile garbage from audi. so i read about 1/8-1/4 of a quart low before draining it. now if you change your oil by audis specs, id check it every 3k miles and top off..of go to them and have it topped off for free.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Question about dipstick and topping off oil.

"dont believe in that 10k mile garbage from audi"

Yeah,what do they know. There just the people who designed, engineered, and built the cars, as well as honor the warranties on them. Why should you pay any attention to them? You are much better off taking the advice of an anonymous name on the internet.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 AM

Default wow .... was that necessary?

kontakterr61 did say he was using "dino" oil where he should be using Synthetic in the 2.0T so that's his first strike.

And Audi only really cares about us getting your cars to 50K and that's it. Any oil related failure after 50K is on our dime. If spending $60 every 3-5K give you piece of mind I say go for it. These little 2.0T's get freaking hot so I'm going to start a 5K change interval for my next service.

And this comment really chaps my cheeks "You are much better off taking the advice of an anonymous name on the internet." I've learned quite a bit of this forum from the anonymous population and even had to take a service advisor to school on what I learned on here and guess what.... the anonymous population was correct.

My thoughts... you have any?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My dealer does 5k intervals and uses only fully synthethic. This alone will reduce you usage...

to the point you won't need to top it off.

Your engine is still pretty "green". Oil consumption should go down a bit as the rings set and you'll get better gas milage and make more power as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Does Oil Sludge ring a bell?

My service tech at Audi quite emphatically stated that if I intend to keep the car for a prolonged period of time, i.e. I bought my car, not leased it, then change the oil every 5K not 10K...it's an oil cooled turbocharged motor that needs good oil...Dino is OK for the first several 1000 miles, but after that, synthetic should be the only thing you put in if you want a happy motor...just my 2 cents.

Nick
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL, surely your jest.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default all this mention of holes, ****, oil, "fist" (spelling error - Casper 2.0T).

funny.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM

heheheee fixed - if you know me I'm one to try anything once :-)
Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default listen..

i fully understand that audi will warranty the motor if it blew or w/e due to the oil. i just dont like it. and i doubt im the only one the thinks this way. i used to work for jiffy lube and pep boys, i am fully aware and know synthetic oil can hold up to 10k and more, but the way i push my car im going to keep it at 3k.

Quick Reply: Question about dipstick and topping off oil.