A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

All Seasons Go Skiing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Seasons Go Skiing

First big snow in Upstate, NY yesterday. Very cold temperatures today. Running stock 17" Pirelli All Season Tires on my 2010 A4 Quattro Premium+.

I have been researching snow tires, but I must admit I am no longer in such a big hurry. The car is handling quite nicely w/ the all seasons. Even without snow tires, this is hands down the best winter ride I have experienced- and I have lived in snowy winter climates all my life.

While I think I will someday own 2 specialized sets of tires/wheels for the Audi, I am pretty darn pleased right now.

I know folks on these forums generally love to drive and maximize their performance. How many people around here just continue to use their stock all season tires in cold/snowy wintery climates?

Regards,

--plAkeeps
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

All season + Quattro might be O.K. in snow, but it will not be great to stop on ice...

Get Winter tires, better be safe than sorry.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I went with winter performance. They are BETTER then the PZERO Russo (or whatever they are called) they came with the car. Summer i'm planning on getting summer tires.

Honestly it might seem overkill. But I ran a total or 4 years on a summer winter combo (one cycle). Essentially each set of tires ran for 2 full years. Most people I know running a single set of all seasons burn through them in just about 2 years anyways. My suggestion, if you can afford the upfront cost of 2 sets of tires. Get something good for both seasons, not a "jack of all trades" all season which is "ok" in summer and "ok" in winter. Get something that's "excellent" in both. It won't cost you that much more anyways.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How about summer performance tires. Not recommended though. Here is an old picture in my B6 Avant at Mammoth.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run with all-seasons year-round, but I live in an area that doesn't get all that much snow or ice, and it is quickly cleared. If I lived in upstate NY I'd be going with dedicated winter tires.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStuff
Well I went with winter performance. They are BETTER then the PZERO Russo (or whatever they are called) they came with the car. Summer i'm planning on getting summer tires.

Honestly it might seem overkill. But I ran a total or 4 years on a summer winter combo (one cycle). Essentially each set of tires ran for 2 full years. Most people I know running a single set of all seasons burn through them in just about 2 years anyways. My suggestion, if you can afford the upfront cost of 2 sets of tires. Get something good for both seasons, not a "jack of all trades" all season which is "ok" in summer and "ok" in winter. Get something that's "excellent" in both. It won't cost you that much more anyways.
What you say is very true, however, you do need to factor in the cost of another set of wheels with swapping on/off and possible rebalancing OR mounting and dismounting tires and definite rebalancing twice a year. Plus the time to do all this. Also really depends on how much hassle you're willing to incur and need you have.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
First big snow in Upstate, NY yesterday. Very cold temperatures today. Running stock 17" Pirelli All Season Tires on my 2010 A4 Quattro Premium+.

While I think I will someday own 2 specialized sets of tires/wheels for the Audi, I am pretty darn pleased right now.

I know folks on these forums generally love to drive and maximize their performance. How many people around here just continue to use their stock all season tires in cold/snowy wintery climates?
I was tossing this idea around myself, and like you I am much more impressed with the all seasons than I thought I'd be. We've been battling our second snow storm of the season here in northern CO and based on how well the car handles & accelerates (still have to be conservative with stopping), I don't see myself signing up for the hassle of two sets of wheels anytime soon. This car just hogs through the snow, nothing like anything I've ever driven before. =)
Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

You found it great with all season, just think of how much better it is with snow tires..
Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks everyone

I appreciate all the replies. Much of the heavy snow is gone now in my region, but it is ice cold. Plenty of black ice around. I'm driving my kids nuts testing out the car's braking and handling in the new weather.

While I am still considering picking up winter snow tires, I am again really impressed with how well the stock all seasons are performing on the Quattro. Blows away our second car- an AWD SUV. Also blows away my last car- an AWD VW Passat. It's not a miracle- I still need to remember to slow down when driving in our harsh winters. But, right now it's a real pleasure.

Too bad there isn't an easy way for a customer to compare all season vs winter tirs on their own vehicle.

Given that I already spend 1-2 hours each week washing, waxing and detailing my car (curing the warm weather), changing out tirse a few times a year wouldn't bother me at all.

My local Audi service guy throws me for a complete loop. He tried to steer me away from the Blizzak WS60's. Rather, recommending a different set of All Seasons- NokianWRG2 All Weather Plus. I didn't see that recommendation coming...

Regards,

-- plA4keeps
Old 12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
What you say is very true, however, you do need to factor in the cost of another set of wheels with swapping on/off and possible rebalancing OR mounting and dismounting tires and definite rebalancing twice a year. Plus the time to do all this. Also really depends on how much hassle you're willing to incur and need you have.
Sorry I did forget the added cost of extra set of rims. I wouldn't do the swapping back and forth. IF cost is an issue you can get steels... :\ Only reason I stuck with the 19" is I wanted to get 20s for summers.

Quick Reply: All Seasons Go Skiing