A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Auto Start Options-Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start Options-Viper?

I just bought my Audi off lease so I want to put in a auto start. I leave really early for work so warming up the car is really helpful in the colder months. I had one in my Passat and I miss having it.

Because of the way the Audi is set up, I need to sacrifice a key with a chip. The place I would go to for the install said that I can't use the valet key. They also said I had to pay monthly for the Viper Smart Start app? I called the dealership and they said the valet key has the chip, so I should be able to use that. The Viper app was a free download, so I am not sure what he meant about paying

I called the dealership after I left the install place so I haven't told them what the dealership said yet. Is the install place wrong, or the dealership? The guy at the install place helping me didn't seem to know much and kept calling his boss about most everything. Anyway, I am trying to decide which system to get and I can buy it much cheaper online then what they charge. I just need to pay them $120 to install it. I would go somewhere else, but this place is literally a few blocks away and they do good work, but the owner is a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to website info and talking on the phone.

Viper seems to be the most popular one. This place also carries a brand called Avital. According to the guy, they are both made by the same company. I do want the smart start option so I can use the app and start my car from anywhere. I am a little confused as to what components I need. The Viper site says I need the VSS3001 and the Interface Module which is I guess the bypass where the key goes? Is that all I need?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I can't help, but I'm interested too. *subscribed*
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey. I've been thinking about doing the remote start too. I've got a 2009 with 90K miles on it now. Well out of warranty.

The place I live at charges $55/mo for a 1car garage, with no automatic garage door opener. Figure a remote start is much cheaper.

I know you do need to sacrifice a key for the cheap. The valet _should_ work.

I'll do some research and post back.

Where are you? I'm in Detroit.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.andysautosport.com/audi/2...k00000001.html
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ports
Hey. I've been thinking about doing the remote start too. I've got a 2009 with 90K miles on it now. Well out of warranty.

The place I live at charges $55/mo for a 1car garage, with no automatic garage door opener. Figure a remote start is much cheaper.

I know you do need to sacrifice a key for the cheap. The valet _should_ work.

I'll do some research and post back.

Where are you? I'm in Detroit.
According to the dealership, the valet key should work. I haven't called the install place yet to discuss it. I am in NJ.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was wondering the same, i was told that also when I was inquiring about it but I dont want to give up a key for that process. so if there is one that can do it without giving a key i will get it
Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Would i still need to give up a key with this auto start if not thats a good buy
Old 11-15-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dynasty0002
Would i still need to give up a key with this auto start if not thats a good buy
I think you just give up your plastic valey key + plastic holder. Is that a big deal?
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So what parts of the dash do the teenagers at Best Buy have to remove to access the relevant wiring? And how much does installation typically cost (on top of the parts)?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ports
I think you just give up your plastic valey key + plastic holder. Is that a big deal?
Yes, I was able to use the valet key which has been siting in a small basket of extra keys since I've had my car. I had mine installed by a shop near me that specializes in these installs. They had my car all day and apparently Audis are a real PITA to work on. I dropped it off thanksgiving night and didn't get it back until after 5:30 on Friday.

I paid $470 for everything. $180 for install, $199.99 for the VSM250 and $69.99 for the bypass module.

When I set it up, the guy that helped me says he goofed and didn't know I had 'push to start', so they had to install the unit with built in GPS, lock/unlock, etc. He says I got that for free and they just charged me a little more for the install.

So I can start my car, lock/unlock, use GPS for locating it and I don't know what else. I'm hoping I got a good deal. I am a little confused what Viper kit has what included

Forgot to add……Unfortunately I am unable to use the 1 then all 4 unlock option with the remote start. It only opens all 4 at once. The place that did the install says the bypass module manuf. has to come up with an update to fix that :roll eyes:

Also, the 'Refresh for update' status option isn't working. It says….. 'The response from the server could not be interpreted. If the problem persists, go to mysmartstart.com for help. (31)'

I had to buy a Viper service plan package for my iPhone. I did it for 1 year for $69.99.

Last edited by trlyka; 12-04-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Start Options-Viper?