A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Rear bumper scratched

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bumper scratched

Hey guys, I knew it was bound to happen but I had my first little accident today in my '09 A4. I've been pretty fatigued for the past couple of days from getting over mono just to give you my mindset.

Nevertheless, I was backing out of a drive way and I bumped into a wooden pole and scratched my back right bumper. I will upload pictures soon. The scratch is pretty deep as I can feel a very defined 1/4 inch depression and see black bumper underneath the paint, I am assuming that is the fiberglass.

Anyways, I came here to seek advice anyone has on dealing with thus. My plan so far is going to a reputable German car shop. I am around the Atlanta area, heard a good place in Roswell. I've been told to avoid Bondo but I've heard there is fiberglass bondo?

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is a picture of the scratched.

Also, has anyone heard of Carsmetics? I seemed to have found a lot of good reviews but I haven't heard if they know about luxury cars.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by awchoo
Here is a picture of the scratch.
The rear bumper cover is just a plastic skin. You are certainly going to need some paint, but some of that damage can be polished out. It's really going to come down to how much of a perfectionist you are.

There are mobile bumper repair guys that can facilitate some amount of touch up. I think the two spots where the paint has been removed are going to need more attention....AKA the body shop.

Is there permanent deformation of the plastic? It's hard to tell from the foto.

If they elect to replace the bumper cover, I think you're looking at ~ $600. I'd say color-matching is the only real "concern". This is a very straightforward repair assuming the proper prep is done and re-finishing materials used to ensure it's durable.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
The rear bumper cover is just a plastic skin. You are certainly going to need some paint, but some of that damage can be polished out. It's really going to come down to how much of a perfectionist you are.

There are mobile bumper repair guys that can facilitate some amount of touch up. I think the two spots where the paint has been removed are going to need more attention....AKA the body shop.

Is there permanent deformation of the plastic? It's hard to tell from the foto.

If they elect to replace the bumper cover, I think you're looking at ~ $600. I'd say color-matching is the only real "concern". This is a very straightforward repair assuming the proper prep is done and re-finishing materials used to ensure it's durable.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response!

Yea I figured I would have to go into a body shop. The problem is that I live in a city that doesn't have many German car body shop but supposedly the local Lexcus/Toyota dealership has a very nice body shop so I might try that. Otherwise I would have to drive 70mi southeast which isn't an issue unless I have to leave my car... most likely yes.

I've looked at it and it doesn't seem to have any major deformation. But who knows what the tech will say.

I hope it just straight forward, I called the dealership and they're saying around $400-600.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My pleasure.

As long as the Toyota dealership follows approved re-finishing practices, and offers a lifetime guarantee on the work, you shouldn't have much concern unless something about your interaction with them makes you nervous.

My local Audi dealership is also certified on MBz, Toyota, Porsche, Infiniti and more. Lots of late-model cars being repaired there.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
My pleasure.

As long as the Toyota dealership follows approved re-finishing practices, and offers a lifetime guarantee on the work, you shouldn't have much concern unless something about your interaction with them makes you nervous.

My local Audi dealership is also certified on MBz, Toyota, Porsche, Infiniti and more. Lots of late-model cars being repaired there.
Thanks a lot for your input Uberwgn. I really do appreciate it.

Speaking of interaction, I went their earlier today and the rep. that I was given had given me the option of selling my car... He said something to the effect that my boss doesn't like me telling people this but you can sell this car or something and pick something else up. I guess he saw an opportunity to make a quick buck since my car has such low mileage for an '09. Is that normal?

I've also sent a couple of pictures to some other places and they all want to replace my whole bumper... I know I am not expert but there is no way the whole bumper needs to be replaced, especially for $1150. Hell for that much, I might as well by an after market body kit.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by awchoo
Speaking of interaction, I went their earlier today and the rep. that I was given had given me the option of selling my car... He said something to the effect that my boss doesn't like me telling people this but you can sell this car or something and pick something else up. I guess he saw an opportunity to make a quick buck since my car has such low mileage for an '09. Is that normal?

It is more commonplace since car sales have been booming in recents months and dealers seem to be "light" on inventory, especially the 4 ring variety. I guess you can test his sincerity by asking what his cash offer is for your car I have been hearing of others swapping into brand new vehicles without inflicting too much financial pain.

I've also sent a couple of pictures to some other places and they all want to replace my whole bumper... I know I am not expert but there is no way the whole bumper needs to be replaced, especially for $1150. Hell for that much, I might as well by an after market body kit.
My wife got bumped by an SUV a year ago. The license plate bolts on the offender put two holes in the rear bumper cover. I assumed they would patch up these small, dime-sized holes and re-spray. They didn't. They fitted a new bumper cover and that was that. It was $650. I assume it was an OE part, don't know for sure.