A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Windows Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Tint?

Just wondering if anyone is having their windows tinted? Whats the film you are using and how do you like them?

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dfwdfw
Just wondering if anyone is having their windows tinted? Whats the film you are using and how do you like them?

Thanks,
I went with Infra Red Ceramic. Ceramic tint is the only way to go, the amount of heat reducation is very noticeable. My tint is 5% on the rears and 27% on the front

Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am actually looking to get my car tinted and get a clear bra done in the next two weeks. Not sure if the clear bra is worth it or not, but I already have a rock chip on the hood, so want to prevent more.

As far as tinting, I am thinking of doing a ceramic 35% tint all-around. I have to decide between a couple of different films.

1. Huper Optik - heard it was one of the best ones available and also priciest.
2. Johnson Films - do not know much about this brand but it seems to be a very big one
3. GeoShield - know nothing about this brand at all.

...heard Formula One was also a good brand, but there is no dealer who offers that close by.

I don't mean to take over the thread. But I was wondering, which of these you would recommend me going with? And 35% will not be too dark right?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just put on 35% FormulaOne Pinnacle (ceramic) and like it very much. Easy to see out of and looks good. My prime motivation is heat reduction but I'll have to wait for summer to really tell.

Ceramic will reduce more heat from the sun and is said to be better with wireless tech (nav, cell phones etc - some say the non-ceramic blocks these devices...)

I can't really say much about different brands but would recommend looking at them at the installers first. Some brands may differ in color a bit.

It then comes down to your preference and situation. I park outside at work with dark car & black interior (heat sink) so max heat reduction is my main motivator. The interior will affect the appearance of the tint - black will make the tint appear darker. I also like using the same darkness on all the windows that you're having tinted (some people go lighter on the front drvr/pass but I think that looks weird). Also look up the legal limits for your state - different states allow different darkness as well as tinting the windshield.

Also make sure you cover your amp with a towel before leaving you car with the tinter. I've read that some people had problems with water getting on the amp. It's located inside the trunk, within the little side door on the driver side.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KremlinGremlin
As far as tinting, I am thinking of doing a ceramic 35% tint all-around. I have to decide between a couple of different films.

1. Huper Optik - heard it was one of the best ones available and also priciest.

2. Johnson Films - do not know much about this brand but it seems to be a very big one
3. GeoShield - know nothing about this brand at all.

...heard Formula One was also a good brand, but there is no dealer who offers that close by.

I don't mean to take over the thread. But I was wondering, which of these you would recommend me going with? And 35% will not be too dark right?
I got quote on Huper Optik for $280 (4 side windows + rear winshield)... other films they are offering are Madico, 3M, SolarGard, SunTek etc and they are all at least $100 cheaper. However, the heat resistance from Huper Optik is indeed much better (which I need here in Texas) from the testing they are doing at the show room.

I dont think 35% is too dark, I had 25% on my previous car (25% allowed on side and no limit for the rear winshield in Tx).
Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=a4-bob;24093975]I just put on 35% FormulaOne Pinnacle (ceramic) and like it very much. Easy to see out of and looks good. My prime motivation is heat reduction but I'll have to wait for summer to really tell.

====

Nice, can we have a picture? I have same exterior color as yours.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NickZag
I went with Infra Red Ceramic. Ceramic tint is the only way to go, the amount of heat reducation is very noticeable. My tint is 5% on the rears and 27% on the front

Thanks. The wheels look nice.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See my post here for pics of my setup. It's Hüper Optik Stark 30 that I got almost 2 yrs ago, and I am still extremely happy w/ it. To add, here's a more recent pic:

Last edited by ItsDubC; 01-22-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dfwdfw
Nice, can we have a picture? I have same exterior color as yours.
35% ForumulaOne Pinnacle on a semi-overcast day

Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=ItsDubC;24094012]See my post here for pics of my setup. It's Hüper Optik Stark 30 that I got almost 2 yrs ago, and I am still extremely happy w/ it. To add, here's a more recent pic:

Wow, I like this setup, the carlooks great (and I love those wheels). hum... you got me leaning towards the Huper Optik, hopefully it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Windows Tint?