A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Winter tire suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tire suggestion

Hi - I've narrowed down my winter tire choice between the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and the Nokian Hakka 5 (studded). Just wondering if anyone has tried either tire on their A4 and would recommend (or suggest another winter tire).

We have harsh winters with lots of ice and the occasional heavy snowfall, so I think either tire would work well. The Hakka 5's are almost $100 more per tire, but I expect might provide better traction in ice due to the factory installed studs. No surprise, but the studded Hakka's are reported to be noisier, so that could be a definite downside.

I don't think either is much of a performance tire, but in the winter, my bias would be toward better traction.

Recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

You really have to decide what you want.. x-ice2 is more of an highway tire.. studded hakka5 is for ice and bad *** storms.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have not yet changed out for winter but i have a set of oem wheels and tires coming and will decide afterward.

I have used on my FWD Mk III VR6 the Nokian Hak for over 6 years without studs in Denver metro and the mountains here. The only tire I've ever had that was better than the Haks was a Gislaved (good luck finding them).
There was never a situation I couldn't get through with those tires.
They are very inspiring as well at speeds in the 60's and 70's on snow!
They will melt when the road temps go north so I save them for the worst part of the season. They are pricey but worth every dime.

The Xi2's are well rated by several as a studless winter tire and are easy to get and reasonable. Consumer reports gives them a top pick if you like their reports.

I've never used studs but understand they're are good for racing and provide a little better purchase for stopping and starting and not much else for everyday.

With AWD and esp quattro I cant imagine needing studs but thats you're call.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks B-Town for the info. Which Nokian Haks do you have? The tire salesman pushing the Hakka 5's said that his second choice would be a Hak R (studless).
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hakka 5 vs. X-Ice

Originally Posted by mart242
You really have to decide what you want.. x-ice2 is more of an highway tire.. studded hakka5 is for ice and bad *** storms.
Good point. 70% of my driving is on city streets which are icy during the winter months. Maybe I should get the Hakka 5's and just turn up the B&O to cover the noise of the studs when I'm on the highway.

One of the Kal-Tire salesman was about to put his Hakka 5's on his car and said I could take it for a spin if I wanted to experience the noise difference. I guess I'll have to take him up on that.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Thanks B-Town for the info. Which Nokian Haks do you have? The tire salesman pushing the Hakka 5's said that his second choice would be a Hak R (studless).
I sold VW for A4 so I dont have them anymore. They were a studdable tire but I never needed them. I want to say Nordfrost II but I'm not sure. Got them from Discount Tire locally.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Hi - I've narrowed down my winter tire choice between the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and the Nokian Hakka 5 (studded). Just wondering if anyone has tried either tire on their A4 and would recommend (or suggest another winter tire).

We have harsh winters with lots of ice and the occasional heavy snowfall, so I think either tire would work well. The Hakka 5's are almost $100 more per tire, but I expect might provide better traction in ice due to the factory installed studs. No surprise, but the studded Hakka's are reported to be noisier, so that could be a definite downside.

I don't think either is much of a performance tire, but in the winter, my bias would be toward better traction.

Recommendations would be appreciated.
Have you researched the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 tires? I heard these are very good.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I live in Quebec and I find studded tires a bit of an overkill on a Quattro A4.

I used to have Nokian RSI on my B5 and they were great. I have a house in the mountain and no problem going up on an icy road of March.

I just ordered some Nokian Hakka R for my B8.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

take a look at the toyo garit kx... should be a good fit
Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I run X-ice tires on both of my A4s in the winter and they have been great. As others have mentioned, I believe that studded snow tires are overkill with quattro. If you do any dry road driving during the winter you'll be happier without the studs.

Quick Reply: Winter tire suggestion