A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Question about the "code" tag

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question about the "code" tag

It's my understanding that when you get a new B9 along with the keys you get a secret code on a tag. What is that for?
I just picked up a 2017 CPO car and it didn't have the tag with it. Sales guy trying to make light of it saying I don't need it. (How does he know I don't need it?)
I'm pretty sure I need that to sign up for any of the tech features with Audi. Please list all the things I can't do without that code. Shouldn't that code be considered part of the car in a sale since it's unique to the car and essentially the key to the tech?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 2018 Thursday and they used that tag with the code to activate Audi Connect in the car to my MyAudi account. Do you have access to Audi connect in your car? Can you use the MMI connect app to unlock/lock and display key info about your car?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

You will need it to be able to fully activate and use Audi Connect. The dealer can order a new one from Audi so that you can do this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

So far as i can tell, none of the Audi Connect stuff is working. Neither is the Sirius trial. I'm guessing I need that code to get it up and running. Not sure if I need the dealer to do it or if I can call it in myself once I have the code.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
So far as i can tell, none of the Audi Connect stuff is working. Neither is the Sirius trial. I'm guessing I need that code to get it up and running. Not sure if I need the dealer to do it or if I can call it in myself once I have the code.
You need the dealer to order the tag. It's my understanding it comes from Germany not Audi USA. Once the dealer gets you the tag then you fill out paper work at the dealer and Audi USA activates Audi Connect. As far as the free Sirius trial I think your SOL. That's for the first owner. I could be wrong though.

If your not from then USA then my post may be totally irrelevant.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 03-13-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
It's my understanding that when you get a new B9 along with the keys you get a secret code on a tag. What is that for?
I just picked up a 2017 CPO car and it didn't have the tag with it. Sales guy trying to make light of it saying I don't need it. (How does he know I don't need it?)
I'm pretty sure I need that to sign up for any of the tech features with Audi. Please list all the things I can't do without that code. Shouldn't that code be considered part of the car in a sale since it's unique to the car and essentially the key to the tech?
Dealer Order only, parts dep....$99+ tax they need proof of ownership, takes 2 to 3 days to deliver. Audi connect work on the car without it, you only NEED it for phone app to work, Sirius just call them and ask for a trial on new vehicle.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The tag is only used to make you the key "user" for the app. Audi Connect is on it's own.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The tag is only used to make you the key "user" for the app. Audi Connect is on it's own.
Okay, good to know.
Now, since the car is a CPO is it reasonable to say there's a security hole that would allow the previous owner to track, lock and unlock MY car? If they can track then they can locate. If they can locate they can unlock. That's a problem.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

the only way they could do that is if they paid for AudiConnect beyond their initial trial subscription
Old 03-13-2018, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can do the following to see if there's an existing authorized key user:
• Start your vehicle
• Press the Menu function button on the MMI® system and choose “Audi connect” in the MMI® display
• Open the options menu (left button on MMI)
• Select “Audi connect user management”
• Select “Show remote access authorizations”

If there are any, you can remove by resetting, but you won't be able to add your ID until the dealer has registered you. See https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...etup-Guide.pdf for more details.

Quick Reply: Question about the "code" tag