A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Musings on Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Musings on Electric Power Steering

Our cars have electric power steering so why does the power steering shut down when the engine start/stop kicks in? I know that the engine will restart when you turn the wheel but you have to tug on the wheel pretty hard to get the engine to restart at which point the power steering comes back on line. It seems to me that power steering should remain active. I also wonder what happens to the power steering if the engine stalls? Does the power steering cut out like a hydraulic system or does it remain active? A guy on the VW GSW forum had his engine stall on a hill and he lost power steering and had to roll the car backwards and steer it off the road with no power steering. I see is no reason the power steering could not remain active, keeping the power steering active would be a safety feature.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Our cars have electric power steering so why does the power steering shut down when the engine start/stop kicks in? I know that the engine will restart when you turn the wheel but you have to tug on the wheel pretty hard to get the engine to restart at which point the power steering comes back on line. It seems to me that power steering should remain active. I also wonder what happens to the power steering if the engine stalls? Does the power steering cut out like a hydraulic system or does it remain active? A guy on the VW GSW forum had his engine stall on a hill and he lost power steering and had to roll the car backwards and steer it off the road with no power steering. I see is no reason the power steering could not remain active, keeping the power steering active would be a safety feature.
Electric power steering seems to use a lot of electrical power. Found this clip in an article:

POWER CONSIDERATIONS

The amount of electrical power required for EPS has limited the system's usage primarily to smaller vehicles. Part of the issue with a 12 V system is getting enough instantaneous power to have a full electric power steering for a large car. “As of today, I think you'll find them on smaller cars and not so much on large ones,” said Phil Headley, chief enginee, Advanced Technology, Continental Automotive Systems.

TRW's electrically assisted steering (EAS) specifically targets the small car segment. The integrated EPS system is a column unit that uses a low inertia permanent magnet ac motor. A worm gear transmits the assist torque from the motor to the steering column. The system provides a maximum assist torque of 70 Nm (rack assist force 8500 N) with peak output power of 470 W. This requires peak battery current of 70 A at 13.5 V. EPS systems can easily exceed 100 A using a standard 12 V battery supply.

Toyota's Prius has a high-voltage EPS system that operates around 40 V but it is similar to the 12 V system. It is Toyota's oldest EPS system and the first EPS system the company offered in the United States. The system provides power steering when the engine is off. ...............The Highlander and the Camry hybrids have a system that works on the same principles as the Prius with a torque sensor in the steering column, but the assist motor's location changes from the steering column to into the steering rack. As shown in Figure 3, the higher-performance motor runs on 42 V in the Highlander with a buck dc-dc converter reducing the vehicle's 288 V battery voltage to 42 V. The Camry runs between 27 V and 34 V.

Electronic Power Steering Systems - control, sensing and power aspects of EPS Electronic Design
Maybe the current required to run an Audi A4's electric power steering entirely off of its 12 volt battery would be excessive and only the electrical wiring between the alternator and the EPS is designed to handle the necessary amperage?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

It's not just the wiring, but a standard 12v car battery is not designed to supply that kind of current/energy. The biggest draw on a car battery continues to be the starter motor, so the primary objective of the car's energy management system is to ensure the battery has enough energy to turn over the engine. That's even more important with a start/stop system where the engine has to be turned over more frequently with only short charge cycles in between. It would be very unwise to let EPS drain the battery and compromise the ability to turn over the engine. This is why Audi and others are moving to a new 48v system to power these increasingly demanding electrified components.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-20-2018 at 03:26 PM.