A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

At the dealership - random observations.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default At the dealership - random observations.

So I went into the dealer's today for an oil change and some quick random observations while checking some cars in the showroom.

1. The standard seats on the Q5 are not at all comfortable.
2. Most any seat without thigh extenders will never be as comfortable as one with thigh extenders.
3. I would only get sport seats (bolsters) no matter which model or brand car.
4. I checked out 2 2017 A5's - one with a 3.0 and one with a 2.0 (don't remember the level) but when I closed the door on that 2.0 A5, it was the tiniest sounding door I ever experienced and I opened and closed it many times. Not the case on any other car there
including the 3.0 A5.What the heck is that about?
5. I was speaking with another customer who was having her 2017 Allroad in for a nail in the tire fix.
A. She loves her Allroad, but MMI is very troublesome and Appleplay works only intermittently.
B.While looking to buy an Allroad some months back, she called another local dealership to ask about a buying/leasing an Allroad and wanted to test drive one. They said ok. When she got there, they said there was only one Allroad and that was in the showroom
and they would not let here drive it and that it could even be sold! What the heck! She would never go back to that dealer again, obviously. But she had no problem getting a test drive and buying one at the dealer we were at. Dealers - one bad experience
can sour future orders!
6. Above issue aside, dealerships do try to satisfy their customers.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CarPlay has been buggy for me as well.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that you have to plug the phone in is a deal breaker for me with CarPlay -- wish it worked over BT. I find the MMI very responsive and intuitive to use.

Weird how to 2.0 door sounds different that the 3.0. Less insulation I suppose.

My local dealer is actually very good IMO.

Thanks for the report.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh, I forgot to mention that the higher end A6/A7/A8's had retractable MMI screens. When I went outside to pick up my Allroad, there was one right next to mine - though a few years older - and it had a very nice built in MMI/NAV screen. And I'll say it again and keep beating that dead horse - the current tacked on screen looks terrible compared to the all the others.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Versprechen
The fact that you have to plug the phone in is a deal breaker for me with CarPlay -- wish it worked over BT. I find the MMI very responsive and intuitive to use.

My local dealer is actually very good IMO.
I wish it worked over BT too, but I usually plug my phone in anyway, so it's not a huge deal. The MMI works fine for me too, except for lack of text messaging.

My dealer is also very good - they've taken care of a number of small issues with no problem at all.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
So I went into the dealer's today for an oil change and some quick random observations while checking some cars in the showroom.

1. The standard seats on the Q5 are not at all comfortable.
2. Most any seat without thigh extenders will never be as comfortable as one with thigh extenders.
3. I would only get sport seats (bolsters) no matter which model or brand car.
4. I checked out 2 2017 A5's - one with a 3.0 and one with a 2.0 (don't remember the level) but when I closed the door on that 2.0 A5, it was the tiniest sounding door I ever experienced and I opened and closed it many times. Not the case on any other car there
including the 3.0 A5.What the heck is that about?
5. I was speaking with another customer who was having her 2017 Allroad in for a nail in the tire fix.
A. She loves her Allroad, but MMI is very troublesome and Appleplay works only intermittently.
B.While looking to buy an Allroad some months back, she called another local dealership to ask about a buying/leasing an Allroad and wanted to test drive one. They said ok. When she got there, they said there was only one Allroad and that was in the showroom
and they would not let here drive it and that it could even be sold! What the heck! She would never go back to that dealer again, obviously. But she had no problem getting a test drive and buying one at the dealer we were at. Dealers - one bad experience
can sour future orders!
6. Above issue aside, dealerships do try to satisfy their customers.
Hey, you didn't get your free cars wash?

You know, those incursions into the dealer will cost you another new car soon ;-p ...
Old 06-16-2017, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I forgot to mention that the higher end A6/A7/A8's had retractable MMI screens. When I went outside to pick up my Allroad, there was one right next to mine - though a few years older - and it had a very nice built in MMI/NAV screen. And I'll say it again and keep beating that dead horse - the current tacked on screen looks terrible compared to the all the others.
You really can't let it go can you, Bob. It's really not that bad. Learn to love it.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blorzoga
You really can't let it go can you, Bob. It's really not that bad. Learn to love it.
This is how Bob m looks at the MMI screen:

Old 06-16-2017, 03:44 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't see the advantage of the retractable screen - isn't it going to be out most of the time? Though I suppose with the virtual cockpit you could keep it closed...
Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to admit that waiting for it to open and retract would probably bother me.

I think the first time I saw it like that when I started shopping I thought it looked weird. The second time it didn't even phase me.

Quick Reply: At the dealership - random observations.