A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Interior cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior cleaning

Hi, I'm new to this forum so still learning my way around. Recently bought an A4, 2017, premium plus, however the Midwest snow has messed it up, inside and outside. What would you all recommend to keep it clean, interior and exterior ? I understand Audi online is selling various cleaners, including a separate one for the cockpit. Which one of those are handy, or would you recommend any other brand online ? My parking is not covered for now, so that is another issue. Thanks in advance
Old 12-19-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to use sand paper to buff out the dirt on the exterior....:P

Nah there are better cleaning products that what Audi offers. Normally I just use a damp cloth to wipe down the interior and than every 6 months or so I use the Audi cockpit stuff to wipe down the dash. I don't want stuff that makes dash boards all shiny, it's not meant to be a shiny black.

As for the outside I use a car wash. I also use an aluminum/chrome spray on the wheels and exhaust tips to keep them clean as the car wash isn't the greatest at getting that stuff off.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sameerk

however the Midwest snow has messed it up, inside and outside. What would you all recommend to keep it clean, interior and exterior ? I understand Audi online is selling various cleaners, including a separate one for the cockpit.

Sam, I would have the exterior of the car coated.

I would purchase a light-duty cleaning product for the interior (1Z Cockpit Premium). I would get a set of Weathertech floor mats. Are you going to need a carpet cleaner?

Welcome aboard!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I prefer to use few cleaners and chemicals on the interior as I like the matte look as the car comes from the factory. The best tools that I have found are a Shop Vac with a few soft brush attachments and damp micro fiber towels. I vacuum everything (dash, floor, seats...) every couple of weeks and use the damp towels to wipe down seats, door trim and steering wheel weekly. If the leather needs a bit more cleaning, I like Zaino leather cleaner, but I'm sure there are other good ones.

I also invested in WeatherTech floor mats which are much easier to clean than the stock carpeted mats.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What spray is it ? Thank you for the reply
Old 12-19-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have heard of the exterior coating.. what exactly is it and where do we get it done from ? I have all weather mats, which are plastic I assume, and hence am not too sure if I need Weather Tech mats yet.. thanks for your reply
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sameerk
I have heard of the exterior coating.. what exactly is it and where do we get it done from ? I have all weather mats, which are plastic I assume, and hence am not too sure if I need Weather Tech mats yet.. thanks for your reply
Check out detailersdomain and autogeek for some great products and suggestions.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Check out detailersdomain and autogeek for some great products and suggestions.
+1. I wouldn't buy the Audi stuff cuz I guess it will be overpriced?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drewba
Personally, I prefer to use few cleaners and chemicals on the interior as I like the matte look as the car comes from the factory. The best tools that I have found are a Shop Vac with a few soft brush attachments and damp micro fiber towels. I vacuum everything (dash, floor, seats...) every couple of weeks and use the damp towels to wipe down seats, door trim and steering wheel weekly. If the leather needs a bit more cleaning, I like Zaino leather cleaner, but I'm sure there are other good ones.

I also invested in WeatherTech floor mats which are much easier to clean than the stock carpeted mats.
+1 on this.. I prefer a matte look as well and avoid using any sort of chemical in the interior. A high quality microfibre towel with warm-hot water is the best.

For the leather seats/steering wheels, I would sometimes use a steam machine wrapped in thick microfibre towel and use the steam to extract the dirt/oil from the leather. With the steam I was able to pull a lot of dirt out and even the blue jean dye that got transferred to the seat. Not to mention it also gives the leather a matte factory look.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

For windows, interior and exterior there is nothing better than Stoner Invisible Glass. This is generally available at auto stores and on Amazon.
Really, forget all those other glass products.

Quick Reply: Interior cleaning