A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Start

Can a B9 A4 have a remote start installed? Has anyone had a remote start installed.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPOPHIL
Can a B9 A4 have a remote start installed? Has anyone had a remote start installed.
I asked the dealer this recently and they said remote starts are illegal in Germany (due to German emissions regulations — idling not allowed at any time), so the car is not designed to facilitate a remote start system. They advised that installing a third party remote starter would be dangerous with the car's delicate electrical system, and would void the warranty.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by makisupa5-0
I asked the dealer this recently and they said remote starts are illegal in Germany (due to German emissions regulations — idling not allowed at any time), so the car is not designed to facilitate a remote start system. They advised that installing a third party remote starter would be dangerous with the car's delicate electrical system, and would void the warranty.
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for a different answer. Always had remote starters on my cars, some from the factory like my TLX. It's going to be a long winter.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PPOPHIL
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for a different answer. Always had remote starters on my cars, some from the factory like my TLX. It's going to be a long winter.
It won't be a long winter. This car heats up so fast, it's remarkable. At first I couldn't believe it.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
It won't be a long winter. This car heats up so fast, it's remarkable. At first I couldn't believe it.
you are right, I drive two blocks and the temperature gauge is almost at operating temperature. Not like my old 2010 Civic, which the took forever.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a remote start installed right away from a 3rd party shop. It's a Viper remote start...

You need to buy a 3rd key fob, have it programmed, then have it buried in the dash during installation.

The shop I took it to were very familiar with Audi's and the electronics setup.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by spack02
I had a remote start installed right away from a 3rd party shop. It's a Viper remote start...

You need to buy a 3rd key fob, have it programmed, then have it buried in the dash during installation.

When I sold Audi's I would recommend a local shop for remote start installs. If your local shop is good, they can do it.

However, like the above post mentioned, you do need to invest a lot to make it happen, its not cheap.

Also, because the key that is coded for the car is now buried in it, it does make it easier for thieves to steal(happened to one of my customers). Just something to consider.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spack02

Any insight on if it will still work once the battery in the fob dies? I know normally if it dies, or the car can't detect it, it will ask you to put it in a specific spot which I assume is closer to the receiver so it can pick it up. Would suck if they had to take apart your console and/or dash apart again just to change the battery in the "donor" key.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2015 Passat had remote start.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most of the current Mercedes cars sold right now offer remote start with their mBrace mobile app. In the USA anyway.