A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Review after first week

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review after first week

I just purchased a Canadian Progressive S-Line - Manual

Here is my review after my first week of ownership. I have put just over 500km (310 miles) on the car with mixed driving. I am still in the break in period so I can not review all aspects.

I am very happy with the my new A4. All cars are compromises but Audi has made some good choices here. See below

Exterior
Outside Looks 10
Side View Mirrors 9 A little small.
Paint 9
Wheel Style 7 Not my taste, options would be nice
Wheel Well Fill 8 The Pirelli P Zeros have round shoulders and fill the wheel well less

Interior
Interior Looks 9 MMI display location, sorry I am nota fan of this new trend.
Seats 7 I purchased sport seats and these are too wide, not enough side support and I cannot raise front of seat hi enough.
Layout of Interior 9
Materials 9
Navigation System 8 Limited POI in data base, OK voice recognition
Stereo 4 I have to go back to my 1989 CRX Si for a poorer stereo

Engine
Power 8 Many other 2L Turbo’s have more, good wide power band
Sound 6 Engine note is average compared to BMW 6 or Honda 4s.
Fuel Economy 7 Real world is not as good as my Kia Optima SX, Larger heavier car with more powerful engine

Drive Train
Clutch 9 Very Good clutch engagement point. It is lower than other German products I have driven.
Manual Shifter 7 Good for smooth shifts but to slow for fast shifts, non-direct feel.
Ratios Need more time to evaluate
Power Transfer Dry Still in Break-in period
Power Transfer Wet Still in Break-in period

Steering
Weight (assist) 8 Nice weight
Ratio 7 Faster ratio would be nice with S-Line
Feed Back 4 This is a problem with most new cars I tried Electric) Cadillac ATS was the only car I test drove with some feedback

Overall Performance
Ride 8 Very good for a sporty suspension.
Handling 8 Very Good considering engine location.
Acceleration 7
Braking 10 Excellent
Noise 9
Reliability ? To be determined.
Purchase Experience 10 No Service as of yet

Features Dislike
Fuel Filler Right Side Should be on the driver’s side[/SIZE][/FONT]
Black Seats S-Line No choice when you purchase S-line (In Canada
Storage Space Open Center Box, Extremely small glove box
Eye Glass Holder Missing

Feature Like
Center Wheel Control
Over All Interior
Compromise of Sport and Comfort

Last edited by RH56; 06-18-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I give my A4 a "9" in pretty much all aspects after 8 months and 5,000 miles, but to each his own.

Re: the sound system, my guess is that you didn't get the B&O? Re: the seats, I have an S-Line and they are Nougat Brown, not black, so that is not the only choice. I also can't agree with the engine note vs. a Honda 4. I leased a '16 Accord for my cousin and I drive it every weekend. No comparison. Although you are comparing it to an S2000, so that may be the difference. Not sure what wheels you got, but I love my 19" Sport rims. Re: the Sport seats, I am 5'8", 155 lbs and find them perfect. Re: the nav system, I would probably give it a lower score than you did.

Again, everyone has their own opinions. Thanks for the comprehensive review!

Last edited by dseag2; 06-16-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing you did do not have the B&O 3D stereo? Because if you did, a 4 out of 10 rating is pretty harsh!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edle
I'm guessing you did do not have the B&O 3D stereo? Because if you did, a 4 out of 10 rating is pretty harsh!
Wow, your car is incredibly shiny! Does it have a ceramic coating?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of having a tough time reading the post without spaces and punctuation.
Which engine did you choose?
Agreed, still not a fan of the Nav screen position. Audi keeps going back and forth with where it's put on certain models. I have a feeling it will go back to being integrated on the next A4.
S-Line interior is offered in other colors in the U.S. That's too bad it is not in Canada.
Thanks for sharing, interesting read.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Canadian S-line includes S-line interior, US Premium Plus and Prestige only gets S-line exterior. S-Line interior doesn't offer brown seats or ash wood inlays but it gets the nicer S-Line seats and steering wheel with logo.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Kind of having a tough time reading the post without spaces and punctuation.
Which engine did you choose?
Agreed, still not a fan of the Nav screen position. Audi keeps going back and forth with where it's put on certain models. I have a feeling it will go back to being integrated on the next A4.
S-Line interior is offered in other colors in the U.S. That's too bad it is not in Canada.
Thanks for sharing, interesting read.
I wish the OP had described the car - I suspect it is a manual 2.0T quattro Progressiv (roughly the U.S. Premium Plus minus the B&O and a few other things) with the S-Line sport package. But that's a rough guess...

The interior colour thing is just how it is. U.S. market can also get the full grey/beige interiors; Canada only gets the grey/beige seats with the black dash/steering wheel/etc. Unfortunate..
Old 06-17-2017, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blorzoga
Wow, your car is incredibly shiny! Does it have a ceramic coating?
I had just gotten the car detailed and also had put a full front XPEL clear bra on it (bumpers, hood, side mirrors, A pillars, top part of roof up to sunroof). Thank you.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
I give my A4 a "9" in pretty much all aspects after 8 months and 5,000 miles, but to each his own.

Re: the sound system, my guess is that you didn't get the B&O? Re: the seats, I have an S-Line and they are Nougat Brown, not black, so that is not the only choice. I also can't agree with the engine note vs. a Honda 4. I leased a '16 Accord for my cousin and I drive it every weekend. No comparison. Although you are comparing it to an S2000, so that may be the difference. Not sure what wheels you got, but I love my 19" Sport rims. Re: the Sport seats, I am 5'8", 155 lbs and find them perfect. Re: the nav system, I would probably give it a lower score than you did.

Again, everyone has their own opinions. Thanks for the comprehensive review!

Hi dseag2
Yes I have the base stereo, no highs, no base
I would have chosen the Nougat Brown but in Canada it is not an option with S-Line.
I was thinking of the sound of a 89 CRX Si, 95 Prelude SRV or my S2000. Even my wife's 06 TLX was nicer.
I am 5' 9" 180 and the bolsters do not hold me in. Bolster Adjustment would be nice.
The wheels are different in Canada but would still like a choice.

I agree with you, everyone has there opinion, thank for the reply
Old 06-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
I wish the OP had described the car - I suspect it is a manual 2.0T quattro Progressiv (roughly the U.S. Premium Plus minus the B&O and a few other things) with the S-Line sport package. But that's a rough guess...

The interior colour thing is just how it is. U.S. market can also get the full grey/beige interiors; Canada only gets the grey/beige seats with the black dash/steering wheel/etc. Unfortunate..
In Canada the S-Line is all Black, grey header.

Quick Reply: Review after first week