Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Door handle sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door handle sensor problem

My door sensor has not been working whenever it's very cold outside and some other times. I don't know why this happens or how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I wonder how old your main car battery (big one in the trunk) is, since I believe when main voltage drops in car (like it will in the cold for an old battery), the computer turns off some monitoring functions to save power. I.e., if my car sits for a month, my door sensors don't work until I use handle and start the car, then all is fine again. Of course, fob battery also the usual suspect.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes I can personally attest to this being battery/temperature related. Another thing it will do is not start your music from where it last left off....

It's the power management system Audi has to ensure you have enough juice to start the vehicle. I recently replaced my battery and still those silly things stopped happening.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 02-03-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll check the battery out. I did notice that when this happens, the trunk sensor will still works. I wonder if ODB eleven will tell me what the voltage is.

Last edited by 1loveaudi; 02-03-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I lost all of my radio pre-sets when the temp dropped below zero two nights in a row. Now I understand why it may have happened.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

This is probably not your problem, but just in case I will mention it. When I keep my key fob in the same pocket as my cell phone, I have issues with the doors as well.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1loveaudi
I'll check the battery out. I did notice that when this happens, the trunk sensor will still works. I wonder if ODB eleven will tell me what the voltage is.
It's the battery, when my battery was getting low door sensors stopped working at random times. I used to never lock car in garage which ate away at my battery i think, it only lasted me 4ish years.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
it only lasted me 4ish years.
Yepper!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
It's the battery, when my battery was getting low door sensors stopped working at random times. I used to never lock car in garage which ate away at my battery i think, it only lasted me 4ish years.
I'm confused by your never locking car in garage eating away at battery. When I pull into garage I always look car then unlock by touching handle to ensure I can open doors/trunk when needed. Am I somehow overtaxing th battery by leaving it unlocked. ~ confused ~
Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by hotlips
I'm confused by your never locking car in garage eating away at battery. When I pull into garage I always look car then unlock by touching handle to ensure I can open doors/trunk when needed. Am I somehow overtaxing th battery by leaving it unlocked. ~ confused ~
By leaving the car unlocked things are left active that otherwise would shut down if the car were locked. Locking the car effectively says "I am done for now go to sleep, I'll wake you up when I am ready". Things like MMI and the ignition system will all be active with the car unlocked. Also, appreciate differnet countries have differnet rules, bbut here in the UK, if an locked car was stolen, even it was in a locked garage, then the insurance company would see that as being a primary reason not to pay out on the claim on the cbasis that you had not taken all reasonable steps to prevent the car being stolen.

Quick Reply: Door handle sensor problem